Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
craige13
My Device: curve 8900

blackberry daemon process help

I have a process running on my mac book pro called "rimalbumartdaemon" that
is taking up way too many resources and making my machine run slow . I did
some research and am pretty sure its a process related to the blackberry
desktop software. I have removed the desktop software, but the process is
still running .... can anyone give me insight on how to remove or turn it off ?

New Contributor
chr4711
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: blackberry daemon process help

[ Edited ]

Had the same prob.

Solution:

1) If it's OK for you to uninstall the BB software from your Mac, delete it the usual way.

2) Then have a look at your HD at /Library/Application Support and delete the complete folder named "Black Berry"

3) Restart the system, empty the bin and everything should be fine.

(If there should be an error message "process BBdaemon ist running" while you're emptying the bin, try to open the activity monitor and kill the rimalbumartdaemon-process)

New Contributor
tdilenarda
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900

[ Edited ]

It would be nice to have an official answer about this daemon. As soon as I open iTunes, this daemon appears in my processes list and slows everything down : It takes 6 to 8% of a core (I have a MacBook Pro core i7 Dual 2,66) but most important, iTunes then uses about 100 to 120% of my processing power !! My laptop uses between 25 to 30% of its total power for what ????

This is nonsense, this behavior just started with the last BlackBerry Desktop Software update (2.2.0 Build 17).

More troubling, I can't quit iTunes when this daemon in running : as soon as I quit iTunes 10.5, it automatically restarts and hide iTunes. If I want to turn my MacBook Pro off, or restart, the action is cancelled as it says that iTunes is opened and cancelled the restart or turn off... If only it lasted a few minutes, I wouldn't care... but it takes FOREVER to end (most of the times, I have to kill this process with Activity Monitor (and have to do it several time as the daemon relaunches itself when I DON'T WANT IT TO !!!! Unacceptable.

Can you RIM please update the app, and fix this ?? My BlackBerry is used for work purposes only, I never sync Music / Photos. Could you at least LET THE USER CHOOSE, and make your software less intrusive ???

I don't want BDS for Mac to interact with iTunes, the way it used to. I plan to erase anything related to BB from my computer, as the app doesn't want anyway to backup / restore my BB... It always tells me that there is an error, blah-blah... It never worked properly, or at least easily. As a Mac user, this is a real pain in the *** for me to figure out how to make this work (and I'm a Mac systems administrator, this is my job, I know more than a few things about tech).

Screenshots below :

Capture d2019e0301cran 2011-10-24 a0300 12.39.30

Full size image : click here

I only have iTunes opened (idle, not playing), a few Safari pages hidden (mostly RSS feeds), the Finder and Skype (idle). All this shoul not use more than 8-10% of my total processing power. Due to this RIM daemon, it's always above 30%. Bulls**t.

EDIT :

Daemon just finished its business (finally, more than 2 hours for what ?? BDS not working and my BB not connected to my Mac).

The activity drops drastically from 30-35% to 4-6%, only because the RimAlbumArtDaemon finished whatever it's supposed to do !! My processor temp went down from 83°C to 61°C just in a minute after the dameon stopped. This is crazy.

New screenshot below, with exactly the sames apps opened and respective states :

Capture d2019e0301cran 2011-10-24 a0300 12.54.49

Full screen image : click here

New Contributor
craige13
My Device: curve 8900

honestly didn't have time to see if the process would finish ( i have way to much music associated with my itunes) ... I had a friend suggest reinstalling the blackberry desktop **bleep** and re "uninstall" it with the uninstaller ...that did the trick. Dont think i need it till they fix that issue !

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=CBC462E27100DAD71CDBF606D396...

New Contributor
chr4711
My Device: Bold 9900

Just grab the older bbd-version from your time machine. I installed that one again. Works perfectly without any daemons. :smileywink:
New Contributor
tdilenarda

Couldn't wait any longer... Uninstalled the WHOLE BB package from my computer. For good. The Backup process never worked anyway for my 1st and only BB ever, so I won't miss it at all.

1st opportunity I get, I change of cell with something that works.

New Contributor
stever777
My Device: Not Specified

As best as I've been able to figure out, the offending application lives in

/Library/Application\ Support/BlackBerry

I opened a terminal window (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and did:

cd /Library/Application\ Support/BlackBerry

sudo mv RimAlbumArtDaemon RimAlbumArtDaemon.old

Then I started Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor), selected RimAlbumArtDaemon, and did View | Quit Process. The process did not restart.

===

A somewhat more "supported" way of killing the daemon may be to tell launchd to stop launching it by typing:

launchctl stop com.rim.RimAlbumArtDaemon

launchctl remove com.rim.RimAlbumArtDaemon

I don't know whether stop/remove is permanent or not, while I have high confidence that the 'mv' *is*.

New Contributor
j800r
My Device: Curve 8520

Noticed this myself. It uses WAY too many system resources for a feature I don't even USE. I have an iPod. I don't want my iTunes library on my Blackberry phone. (In all honesty I wish I'd never got a contract with this phone either)

RIM, this is simply unacceptable. If you're gonna create a background process that runs whenever iTunes is opened then at LEAST make it light and unobtrusive rather than sucking up half my RAM. Thinking I'll uninstall BDS myself. Don't use it nearly enough to warrant this rogue process. It's absolutely discusting and there should at least be an option to disable this mystery feature.

rrahim
My Device: 9105

Perfect! well done! It kept my system less busy, RIM should think about having the option really, work is no place to play!
New Contributor
tdilenarda

Update released yesterday. Fixing the problem ? Any feedback ?