Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Domitype
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: ATT

mac OS (or Blackberry Desktop) not enabling Mass Media Storage / USB mass storage is not correctly enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.

I have the latest versions, have tried reformatting and everything else mentioned on this and other forums. Mac OS 10.5.8   All memory settings on my Bold 9000 are as required and saved. Blackberry Desktop Manager 1.0.3 indicates that a memory card is in place but my Mac does not see it. Looking at the USB info shows phone is connected but no associated memory. This is shown:

Product ID: 0x8001

Vendor ID: 0x0fca

Version: 2.01

The fix that I found on Blackberry Support document KB19717 is for Windows only (even though it has some info for Mac users in the preamble.) Is there some other update available or in the works for Mac OS user phones? I do not have access to a Windows computer. 

I have tried renaming my phone, reformatting and renaming  and still no change. If I take the card out and use a card reader my computer can read and write to it. I can read and write files to the card internally  using the phone (not when connected to computer.) Every time I try to synch  music files to phone from computer it gets the "This BlackBerry® device requires mass storage mode to sync your music files. Turn it on in your device options, reconnect your device and try again to sync with your media card." message.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jasonchh
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: mac OS (or Blackberry Desktop) not enabling Mass Media Storage / USB mass storage is not correctly enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.

The problem is not with your Blackberry but with your Mac.

If you are using a Macbook try using the first USB port (the one closer to the screen/further from your body when sitting in front of the computer).  Macbooks don't supply enough power to both USB ports to charge/mount the Blackberry if other devices are connected at the same time.

This may not always solve your problem you may need to get the bus controller card replaced if it's been burnt out (I've done once on a 2.4year old Macbook; and it still doesn't always mount my phone!)

It could be another issue but I suspect that is the solution.  Try hooking up a USB powered external Hard-drive (physical 2.5" drive that has to spin up from USB bus power, NOT a flash drive) to your system and see if it mounts, if not then that's your problem.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.