Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: new desktop manager sw and failed synchronization

to download version 6 I went to softpedia... Not my favorite solution but all of the download links on the berry site point only to version 7

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

I am getting very tired of this. BB is losing the market. I was a very loyal fan (my 5th BB already), but I am considering another platform right now. BB is a business professional tool in my organization, but I cannot depend on the skills of BB when it comes to upgrades, errors and no response or quick actions. I am sorry. 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Installed 6.1 on my Windows 7 notebook at home. Worked great, no issues syncing multiple times "right out of the box".  Took the install file to work on a thumb drive and repeated the same uninstall/reboot/install/reboot process.  The Manger throws the dreaded "connector specific error" on calendar sync.  Resetting and reconfig in the past has worked but not this time.  I'm sure it will eventually work like the last time I went to 6, eventually.   How could anyone think that BB will survive in the market?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have downloaded 610_b038_multilanguage again. Everything works fine now.

BB better be quick with the richt software/patches.

The inconvenience is great.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks Blackberry - you dont even have the courtesy to leave the previous working version on the software on the site.  Here is a link to v6 http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/BlackBerry-Desktop-Manager-Download-140754.html

v7 is an "epic fail" - how you can release software that immediately stops sync working for so many users and compound the error by not quickly acknowledging the issue. 

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell Canada

i have un installed DM 7 and replaced it with DM 6 from here http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/253387-archived-rim-desktop-software.html and all is working ok again. let s hope that, in the meantime, RIM will fix the huge bug on the new DM 7 and that they will think twice and test through before releasing new SW the next time. Users had to waste lots of their time to solve this issue and RIN did not give any support at all!

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Same issue here. Verizon tells me that the BBry new software is broken and that Rim said they would have a fix in a few days. That sucks. We have no time for thios. Going out to get my company new Droids this afternoon. This was just one time too many.
Contributor
My Device: 9930

Since BlackBerry customer service disconnected me twice (and had no clue what I was talking about anyway), I contacted Verizon customer service and the Verizon guy in Mankato, Minnesota was extraordinary.  He wasn't aware of the problem as yet (told him to alert Verizon, even at this late date) BUT he then checked his own on-line resources as well as his access to RIM's on-line support.

He then directed me to do the following:

• Uninstall the existing BlackBerry desktop manager (just for fun, I tried running "repair" first from my PC's control panel, but nope, same problem: not just the dumb "preparing sync preview," but then can't even close the dumb desktop manager window without doing a restart with the entire PC).
  • Go to RIM's home page; click on Apps & Software at the top.
  • Click on BlackBerry desktop software on the left.
  • Click on BlackBerry for PC (assuming you have a PC; other options are obvious).
  • Assuming you're now on the page that says BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC at the very top, scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on Download earlier versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC.
  • In the options box, select the PC operating system (note there's also an option for a MAC operating system here).
  • Take it from there.

As the Verizon customer service guy told me, be sure you've deleted the current desktop manager BEFORE doing the download.  The earlier (and properly working) version of desktop software downloaded in about a minute and to my surprise and relief instantly had the correct ID for my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and even had the synchronization settings correct, although I re-checked them to be sure.

And then with much trepidation, I clicked on "Synch" and to my great happiness, everything worked fine (again).  The system properly identified up all the changes in recent days (with a few requests to confirm some stuff) and I'm now back to normal.

Now why couldn't BlackBerry have sent out or posted a notice to do this until they had the newer version fixed?  You'd think after all the bad press, they could at least have done this one right.  Thanks, Verizon, for filling in for the manufacturer.

Contributor
My Device: 9930

Some clarifications to my posting about two hours ago.

During the process while Windows was uninstalling the desktop manager, I got a question whether I also wanted to delete data.  Not knowing what all the implications would be, I did NOT check the box to also delete related data.

On the BlackBerry/RIM page headed BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC, ignore the highly featured item at the very top “Sync your BlackBerry smartphone with your PC” followed by a very visible “download” button.  As I said in the second to last bullet, scroll to the BOTTOM of that page for “download earlier versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software for PCs.”

In my last bullet in my prior posting, I said “take it from there.”  I probably should have been clearer: You only need to download the first of the items listed there: “Desktop Software v6.1.0 B38 (Multilanguage).”  Ignore the rest.  In fact, I suspect the rest concerning device manager might only get you into trouble again but don’t know for sure.

New Contributor
My Device: 9000 Bold

I've spent more than two days trying absolutely everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. I've uninstalled, deleted the programs' folders manually and so on... can't belive nobody at RIM does anything at least to post and say "we're working on it".

I've replicated the problem on two computers, used two dfferent BB 9700, tried using USB and Bluetooth; and the problem persist. It is very likely that the "Upgrade to 7" installs something else in a hidden way and that piece of sh...oftware creates the problem.

Will keep looking for the culprit.