Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
weyb
My Device: curve 8520
Accepted Solution

no sync between curve 8520 & outlook 2010

hello the community !

I'm a newbie on this forum ; I'm french so my english might be confused...

here is my problem detailled below :

Device info

carrier : Orange France - but I don't have internet on my mobile (I use it to phone...)

Model info : curve 8520 ; OS version : v4.6.1.314 (no update available)

Apps and free space

File free : 142691188 octets

Apps installed and their version if possible.   (Go to Settings, then Options, then applications): none

BT device model/version (you will have to look at the BT device): what is it ?

BB Desktop Software : v7.1.0.41

my question

I checked some related posts on this, but this is a little different.

For my settings, I choose to sync from my PC to the terminal, only contacts & calendar with outlook profil.

When performing the sync, it seems to complete up into the Reading from Microsoft Outlook Calendar step, and then the desktop software (v4.6) goes very slow to read a record, and crashes after the reading of 222 records ; then it opens a window with "Rim.Desktop.exe application error - the application generated an exception not managed" (in french). I checked with the forums without finding a good solution.

I followed advices to uninstall cleanly Desktop Software with my previous settings, download the last (but same as the one I had) version, re-installed, re-set my settings, and it  crashes again.

Any suggestion will be VERY APPRECIATED !!

sincerely yours

weyb

Device Soft : v4.6.1.314 (no update available)
Desktop Soft : v7.1.0.41 (no update available)
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: no sync between curve 8520 & outlook 2010

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you describe, it sounds like there is a bad record, likely in Outlook, that is causing this. You must figure out, from all symptoms you have available to you, which record it is, and cleanse it.

If you know the record number (is it 222?), I have heard others report that, if they export from Outlook to CSV, the records will be in the same order as they are being processed by the Desktop Software, which should then enable you to determine which record is causing the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
sun00108
My Device: 8830

Why don`t you upgrade your 8520 to OS5.0?

New Contributor
weyb

Hi everyone,

I cant't upgrade, as I wrote in my note, there's no update for my 8520 (I checked last time)

I tried to export outlook in CSV :

- exported contacts & calendar

- the pb seems to occur with the calendar sync with the terminal, it begins to slow down from record 207 & the sync stops at record 222 - from a list of 1300 records ! so which is record 222 ???

- so I tried to sync only the contacts : i had the message "MAPI Logon Failed. Please run Outlook with the profile Outlook selected and try again »

- I tried to sync only the calendar & I had the same message !

- I looked for the answers on the french forum which say that this happens when outlook is too old - but I have 2010 ! And why didn't I have this message before ???

in the  KB31838 article about this message, it's said that there's a bug which appears in some cases, but no patch yet...

and as I read last wednesday that the company was looking for a financial solution, I don't think there'll be a patch any soon !

:-(

so I'm beginning to think seriously to plan to switch for a android samsung or else...

:-(

if someone has a better idea...

kind regards

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello again,

weyb wrote:

"MAPI Logon Failed. Please run Outlook with the profile Outlook selected and try again »

Refer:

• KB31838 Error "MAPI Logon Failed" when attempting to sync with BlackBerry Desktop Software

Given all of your symptoms, it is possible that something about your Outlook installation is not compatible, or that your Desktop Software installation has become corrupt. I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

weyb wrote:

I cant't upgrade, as I wrote in my note, there's no update for my 8520 (I checked last time)

I cannot know the method you used to check, but if all you did was the on-device Wireless Update attempt, the Desktop Software "automatic" attempt, or the update website "automatic" attempt, the only result you have is that your carrier has not released an updated OS for your device (all of these "automatic" methods restrict you to only your carriers released and sanctioned OS levels). A different carrier may have, and you are not restricted from using another carriers OS package (as long as you do the proper tricks to override the "automatic" methods).

If you wish instructions for making this attempt, just let us know and we'll gladly provide.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
weyb

Hello,

I'm happy to tell you that my pb seems solved !

What did I do ?

A colleague of mine told me that I could have too many records in my calendar.

So :

- I copied my outlook 2010 calendar - to have a backup, just in case...

- I erased all records older than 1st august 2013 : to do that, I searched for all meetings, sorted them by finish date and selected the one i wanted to delete ( I noticed that I had a record displayed a huge amount of time , but didn't take time to investigate)

- and I started the sync again ; I didn't have the error message anymore, I noticed that I still had around 1000 calendar records, but it synchronized without any pb

- I checked on my device and the records are there !!!

so, I don't know if it's a problem with the number of records, or with the record multiplied by XXX...

As it seems to work now, I won't try your solution yet ("if it isn't broken...") !

thank you very much for your help ! I'll keep this thread in my archives !

best regards to you all

bruno aka weyb

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm glad you found a solution and you are very welcome. But, do note that your diagnosis may not be fully conclusive based on what you reported. For example, if the problem was caused by a bad record, then that bad record may just happened to have fallen within the group of records you deleted. Hence, based on the treatment you undertook, it could be either a bad record (or records) or too many records. From the method of the treatment, it's impossible to conclude for sure either way.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
weyb

Hi !

yes, I fully agree with you...

regards