Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
athena0711
My Device: Not Specified

Re: pocketmac sync manager problems

I'm personally not sold on the Blackberry Storm and will probably exchange it for the Curve. I need my phone to be a practical communication device so while the multimedia functions of the Storm are nice, it can be really difficult to navigate the touch screen to do simple things like searching contacts or typing an email. There are some really basic things that are missing such as a backspace key on the keyboard. Currently you can only delete or drag the cursor with your finger to the place you want. Also when I hold my phone between my shoulder and cheek, my face will always activate the speakerphone function, which is embarassing in a public space. And the thing I find most annoying is the auto portrait/landscape view. The phone gets disoriented a lot and I wish I could push a button to activate landscape mode instead of having my phone determine it incorrectly. I have a much more extensive list of grievances but my bottom line assessment is that it is not worth it.
New Contributor
athena0711

Read this NY Times review before deciding if you want the phone. I read it and got the phone anyway, and now it looks like I'll be returning it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&emc=eta1&adxnnl...

New Contributor
athena0711

And I have to add that like David Pogue, the NY Times reviewer, I also encountered a phone that has the same camera bug. I'll be typing an email and out of nowhere my screen turns into camera mode. It's so baffling. Two thumbs down for me.
Contributor
mundo

If your contacts are up-to-date on the MAC you don't lose them, the process will wipe out the Blackberry and sync with the MAC. My initial reaction was same as yours I was concerned about losing my contacts, I have over 1,600, but I tested the process by wiping out my tasks and notes first, either of which I could easily reconstruct. However, if you are really cautious, take a backup of your MAC contacts before your start the process.
Contributor
mundo

This process does not resolve the field mapping problem, I think we will have to wait for the next version of Pocketmac for that fix. But the process I outlined does fix the overall syncing problem. Your progress bar will actually complete.
Contributor
mundo

Storm Bold Criteques Product Reviews

Late last week or early this week Walt Mossberg, in the Wall Street Journal, reviewed the Storm. The main drawback he identified is lack of WiFi for the Storm. In areas where the 3G network is weak, web-surfing is apparently painful. He also made a minor negative comment regarding the "Suretype" feature, apparently, its behavior is dynamic, depending on the function being conducted. He indicated that it takes some getting use to.  Additionally, he had a slight beef with the "orientation" sensor and its ability to resize the screen.  As a result, I am considering buying a Bold model. Does anyone have experience with the Bold?
southbay

Re: Storm Bold Criteques Product Reviews

i have a friend who has the bold and says that it's the best blackberry he's had so far. i've taken a look at it and its really cool -- nice features, fast responses, no apparent lags in anything, the internet is really cool, and the screen is really big. i would definitely get it if verizon had it for us. definitely a cutting edge phone from blackberry -- too bad the storm (apparently) isn't up to par with the bold
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800

Trust me, the Bold is good (I have one!). The problem is Mac support. They can't treat Mac as a second thought anymore - not if they're competing with the iPhone.
Contributor
Apostata
My Device: Torch 9800

Something to note (and if anyone has experienced something different, please let me know): DataPurgeUI - the PocketMac utility to wipe your BB - apparently does not work on PowerPC achitectures. I'm using a G4 PowerBook and when launching this app, it says "You can't open the application DataPurgeUI because it is not supported on this architecture.".

I don't suppose anyone would know if earlier versions of PocketMac are more lenient? 

Visitor
Toolgrrl

[ Edited ]

Nevermind!

Message Edited by Toolgrrl on 12-09-2008 03:12 PM