Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: pocketmac sync manager problems

I have to agree that I like the features of the Storm, but PocketMac is full of bugs!!!!  Does anyone know how to make this program sync all the contacts, calendar and tasks.  It appears to sync some but not all entries in my calendar.  Will be missing some appointments if this keeps up.

Help

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8320 GoldWiFi

Mundo: I am having trouble even finding how to purge the device there's nothing that says that I can do that on the pocketmac program. I clicked restore device to first sync and even that didnt do anything. Could you please tell me how to purge it? I am having the same problem with this whole not syncing situation.

Thanks 

Visitor

The only manual I can find for "PocketMac Blackberry 4.1 does not have a section "8.3.9".  I tried the brief instructions in the forum below (ran data clean up utility to purge my device, one by one (contacts, calendar),  ran utility to clean the sync files on the Mac (3) started PocketMac for Blackberry, selected for each (contact, calendar.) one way sync (overwrite device) ... and I'm still having sync problems with "contacts" (duplications in the devices address book and in Entourage address book, etc.).  Any pointers where to find the manual with a section 8.3.9?  Any other fixes out there?

I'm running MacOS 10.5.6 and PocketMac 1.2 (1.4) 

New Contributor

having same issues:  BB Storm 9350 and MacBook Pro.

Initially, PocketMac was syncing fine, but I HAD to have the media syncing, and installed the media sync software, thinking I could just unintall after I had my media on the phone.  However,

Uninstalled AND used the going into library and deleting and re-starting computer as was suggested. have uninstalled and re-installed a dozen times. . . . NOTHING.

Re-installed pocketmac.  The computer now at least "sees" the BB, but I continue to get the "error 1" and it does not sync.

Tried the clean-up utility, but it doesn't connect to device, so can't clean up.

Removed the media and and re-inserted.  Didn't help.

Removed the battery and re-inserted.  Didn't help.

Do NOT have password protection on BB. 

Can't seem to find how to totally wipe clean the BB, which I would do, if I could sync again.

I don't want to add another 3rd party piece of soft ware. . . . . AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGG.  Wish I had bought an iphone.  Does anyone have ANY suggestions????? 

New Contributor

I tried this cleanup utility with my storm, but since the BB doesnot sync with the computer, it doesn't run. . . Any other suggestions?
Contributor

This is the link for the PocketMac manual http://www.pocketmac.net/public/manuals/PocketMacBlackBerryManual.pdf

See section 6.3.5

Looking at this stream of comments, I share your frustration, as its clear that RIM has done a terrible job with PocketMac. Now here is a list of things that you should know:

1. In my initial post documenting that I had corrected my problem, I indicated that the fix worked for my particular environment.  Which is as follows:

Mac: OS X 10.5.6

Blackberry Pearl 8100: 4.2.1.107

2. The clean up is two done in two stages.

a. Wipeout your Blackberry via the tools provide in the handheld. If you are uncomfortable, doing this, find a way to backup your blackberry first. In the Pearl the tool to wipe out is found under Security Options, General Settings, left click menu to see option Wipe Handheld.

b.  See section 6.3.5 of the PocketMac manual, most of the problems seem to be caused by lingering files in the Mac. Run the utilities to clean up Mac.

c. Reconnect your Blacberry to the Mac and run PocketMac, Sync. If the Mac has been properly cleaned, the synchronization should work fine.

Another recurring problem I had was when I enabled my Blackberry for media (songs, pictures, etc.) as this required the Blackberry to be recognized as an USB or external drive. Whenever I did this, PocketMac would hang when synchronizing my Tasks. So I decided not to use my Blackberry for this purpose.  Until I switch to an iPhone, I am continuing to use my iPod for music, pictures, etc.   

Contributor

This is the link for the PocketMac manual http://www.pocketmac.net/public/manuals/PocketMacBlackBerryManual.pdf

See section 6.3.5

Looking at this stream of comments, I share your frustration, as its clear that RIM has done a terrible job with PocketMac. Now here is a list of things that you should know:

1. In my initial post documenting that I had corrected my problem, I indicated that the fix worked for my particular environment.  Which is as follows:

Mac: OS X 10.5.6

Blackberry Pearl 8100: 4.2.1.107

2. The clean up is done in two stages.

a. Wipeout your Blackberry via the tools provide in the handheld. If you are uncomfortable, doing this, find a way to backup your blackberry first. In the Pearl the tool to wipe out is found under Security Options, General Settings, left click menu to see option Wipe Handheld.

b.  See section 6.3.5 of the PocketMac manual, most of the problems seem to be caused by lingering files in the Mac. Run the utilities to clean up Mac.

c. Reconnect your Blacberry to the Mac and run PocketMac, Sync. If the Mac has been properly cleaned, the synchronization should work fine.

Another recurring problem I had was when I enabled my Blackberry for media (songs, pictures, etc.) as this required the Blackberry to be recognized as an USB or external drive. Whenever I did this, PocketMac would hang when synchronizing my Tasks. So I decided not to use my Blackberry for this purpose.  Until I switch to an iPhone, I am continuing to use my iPod for music, pictures, etc.   

New Contributor

Thanks, I had basically determined the same thing, I will be unable to use all of the functions with a MAC.

I think my only option is to turn this thing back in and just get a phone back and continue to use my touch for everything this stupid storm was suppose to do.

Thanks for the post 

Contributor

You could probably do a kludge, which I haven't fully tried, but I guess it will work. Install VMWare Fusion on your Mac, create a Windows XP virtual instance and synchronize media files. Since RIM seems to focus most of its energy in satisfying Window users, my guess is that you can probably make this combination work.   

I have VMWare installed on my Mac as I must access a number of websites that require Internet Explorer. And it works great. Better than native Windows.

New Contributor

Yes, I know I can do that, and have thought of it because everything I do for work is windows, which is why I bought Entourage etc. . . . .just didn't understand the point of switching to a MAC and then setting up half like windows. . . . I just want an iphone now. . . am sick to death of trying to make this work, when the original platform doesn't support.

My husband is also having issues with his storm as we use microsoft exchange server, and although everything they publish says it will link, he has been unsuccessful in getting THAT to work as well. . . . .just over it!