Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: torch9860
My Carrier: tmobile

retrieving photos

HI Can an educated person help me please.

I have hundreds of photos i want to retrieve from my backups. I never realised i had to import them to view them later. Now i have no blackberry (stupid dog ate it!) and cant open my desktop manager to get at em!!!

PLEASE HELP there must be a way?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: retrieving photos

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

IF (big question) they were backed up as part of your Desktop Software backup process and included in the stored (to your PC) file, then there are 3rd party PC apps that can extract things from the proprietary-format backup file (BBB or IPD, depending on the Desktop Software version you used) and present them in human-readable format.

I say that big first IF because it is actually not completely "usual" to use the Desktop Software backup for things like photos...rather, a direct copy (via USB Mass Storage Mode) of such things is the preferred method to backup such things.

So, seek out (google will be your friend) 3rd party PC apps to parse the backup file(s) you have and see if they even contain the photos you desire. Most of those apps are actually free, from what I've heard.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Smiley Happy Thanks il have a look. The USB mass storage mode seems top ring a bell from when i connected it to PC.  You may hear from me again.!

New Contributor

Thanks for previous advice but Wow its a minefield out there!

i have downloaded phoneminer which was a free trail with only a few bits shown and now they want money. the same with blackberry backup extractor (although slightly cheaper). Also magic berry which did not seem to do much.

I think paying to repair my blackberry might be easier. So for my possibly dumbest question... When my phone is attached to the desktop manager can i actually just move my photos to my desktop photo file  or will i still need one of these converter programs to see em?

Megaconfused.com./betulaughingyourpantsoffnow.org

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

spotdog wrote:

I think paying to repair my blackberry might be easier.

Oh! From your first post, I didn't think that was even an option! Further, don't depend on any data being left on the BB after the repair...from most reports I hear on this site, repair shops typically totally WIPE the BB anyway as part of their repairs. Or, their repair might actually involve replacing the memory chips, which of course means that none of your data is on the BB since it was on the old memory chips.

spotdog wrote:

So for my possibly dumbest question... When my phone is attached to the desktop manager can i actually just move my photos to my desktop photo file  or will i still need one of these converter programs to see em?

Assuming you did not have Encryption or Content Protection active when the photo file was created, you can simply move them from the BB (USB Drive) to some other drive on your computer. The files will be "normal" and completely readable and usable.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code