Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: vodacom

transferring sms text messages to pc

how is the desktop software configured to accept sms text messages from handset for systematic sorting, storage and archiving?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: transferring sms text messages to pc

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please review the information and articles in the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post. The backup process is discussed, along with references to the databases that are backed up. Note carefully that the backup creates a file on your PC that is of a proprietary format, intended solely for use as the source of restore to a BB device...not intended to be otherwise read or used (though there are 3rd party PC apps that can parse and present the data to you).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Tkx Hall of Farmer 4 prompt feedback. Much appreciated. From what you say will not b able to edit in xcel or word in any way? Sorry, I remain challenged.  Is really important that I am able to access in excel or word - legal issues on sms's received. Anxious. 

Hall of Famer II

That is not at all what I said. What I said was that the backup creates a file on your PC that is of a proprietary format, intended only for use as the source of restore to another BB. But, there are 3rd party PC apps that can read that file and extract it into other formats (XLS, DOC, etc.) . But you will have to investigate those for yourself to determine which of those 3rd party PC apps works for your particular needs.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi. I hear you. Thanks. Can you give pointers to these apps? I'm running W7 on desktop. Thank you, and forgive my being electronically challenged. Man, you are a crusader of note!

Hall of Famer II

I've never had need of any of those apps, so I have no personal reference to give. I suggest you use Google and search on something useful...IPD/BBB reader or extractor or something. Read up on the results and make your own decision as to what works best for what you need.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates