Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
dezmick
My Device: Not Specified

uninstall blackberry desktop software 5.0.1

i want to uninstall the software but every time i try to do so it gives me error 1316, since i no longer have the phone or any other blackberry divise i do not want it on my computer, but it will not let me remove it, is there anything i can do to get rid of the stupid software?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: uninstall blackberry desktop software 5.0.1

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is a KB that discusses that error:

• KB04272"Error 1316" InstallShield error is encountered when uninstalling or upgrading the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Hopefully it contains something useful!

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brownyj
My Device: Curve8520

I have tried this so many times now and it just will not unistall and I have tried downloading the same version but it will not let me and keeps asking for a disk everytime I try. I really do need my phone to sync and I am at the end of my rope. Please help. No matter what I do it comes back to error 1316.a How can I stop this and update my phone and get things back to working order again.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Brownyj wrote:

I have tried this so many times now and it just will not unistall and I have tried downloading the same version but it will not let me and keeps asking for a disk everytime I try. I really do need my phone to sync and I am at the end of my rope. Please help. No matter what I do it comes back to error 1316.a How can I stop this and update my phone and get things back to working order again.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Oh, I do hope you haven't reached the end of the line on this...there are some pretty drastic "fixes" yet to be tried, including totally re-installing Windows from scratch. Drastic, as I said, so let's not go there just yet.

In addition to the abpve linked KB, please review this:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software

However, I recommend that, after you do that, you add to it digging through your Registry and removing any and all keys that have anything to with Research In Motion, Puma Technologies, BlackBerry, or anything else that looks like it might just be part of the RIM software. Then, also dig through your entire hard drive, including the Hidden and System areas, removing everything to with this as well. Then also get yourself a good registry cleansing tool and run that. This will be quite tedious and you need to be very very careful or you could make your system totally unstable.

You should probably do a good system and registry backup before you even start any of this, just in case you need to recover. But, since you say you've tried so many times and have the situation you have, it's likely that it'll take some pretty tedious work to get things back in working order.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brownyj

Thanks for your help, but at the moment it hasn't helped, yet....

The error message appears whenever I try to complete the KB02206, so it doesn't happen. So what should I do? 

Also where would I find my Registry?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Where, in that KB, does the error present? Which step please?

Uh oh...If you don't know what the Registry even is, then I take back all that I recommended earlier...that's not stuff for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing to try and deal with. Rather, you might be reaching a point where you need to seek an expert (probably paid) local to you that can help you fix all of this.

I wish the news were better, but from what you've presented, that's all I can think of for you. You are in a deep pickle...and it'll take some doing to get out of it.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brownyj

Oh pooy news

It allows me to start the running the uninstall and then goes through a few stages with the green line ticking down and then just when i think yes it is doing it in is uninstalling the error messages comes up.

I am not great with computers, but we do have an IT dept, so with some help from you and them fingers crossed all will be well. I am not ready to give up just yet, I have been trying to resolve this thing for a week, but with regular breaks or both phone and laptop would be out the window by now.

Would the phone work again, if I synced it to a desktop and then gave up on the laptop for a while until I finally managed to get the problem version off laptop  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Brownyj wrote:

I am not great with computers, but we do have an IT dept, so with some help from you and them fingers crossed all will be well. 

Yes, definitely use them! The things to do are delicate, and if done improperly can render the entire computer useless with complete loss of all data on it. Hence my caution...

Brownyj wrote:

Would the phone work again, if I synced it to a desktop and then gave up on the laptop for a while until I finally managed to get the problem version off laptop  

Wait...your BlackBerry itself is not working? If you said that earlier, I missed it. You definitely have some challenges then. But, you might also have an opportunity to continue now...but that depends on what is going on with your BlackBerry itself right now. Depending on it's condition, there may be a remedy that doesn't need to run the Desktop Software at all...maybe...let me know what's going on with your BB itself and then I might be able to tell you better.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brownyj

To be honest, it is hard to know what is going on with phone, it works, I am getting emails and the calendar still works, but I cannot connect it to sync it.

Since I tried updating, when the phone is now connected it says disconnected. So I possibly have more than one problem, the version of software I am unable to move, as well as the phone, but as I say all was working well until I tried to update software 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

So, the only thing wrong is connectivity to the PC? As stand alone, there is nothing wrong with the BB?

If so, then the things already recommended for the PC remain recommended. Here's a more complete process:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
    • Some have reported that seeking and removing all BB-related (RIM, BB, Puma, etc.) registry keys to be helpful.
    • Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful
    • Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    • KB23681How to configure organizer data synchronization settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.