Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

EmV
EmV
My Device: Torch 9810

upgrading

I started upgrading my phone like 3 hours ago to 7, and it's been stuck on the same step (2 of 19) for at lest 2.5 hours. It says if I disconnect my phone I might make it unusable. But it's uusable now because it's been upgrading for 3 hours with no end in sight. What is going on? This is my only phone and I'd like to leave my house sometime today, preferably with my phone.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: upgrading

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

How, exactly, did you initiate this update? There are many ways, and the method you used will determine if you have a usable backup from which to restore once we get your BB running again...

If you initiated this Over The Air (a "Wireless Update"), then stopping it now will forever make any backup that was made unusable. The OTA update takes an on-device backup, which it uses to restore from once the update completes. But, if anything goes wrong in the process, that backup file is lost forever. Plus, I've heard of some folks lately that, even if they reboot their BB (battery pop), it automatically restarts that OTA update without offering them a choice. The thing to do, I think, would be to shut of all radios to the BB as quickly as possible when it comes back up...that might stop the update from starting again. Note that this recovery is only useful if the update is stopped in the backup portion...if it's stopped in the update portion where it's already writing files to the ROM, then this recovery probably won't work and we'll have to use something else.

So, what I advise is a tethered update, assuming you can get your BB to running in any sort of normal mode. A Safe Mode reboot might be needed:

KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

Depending on those results, you would definitely want to take a backup to your PC ASAP before proceeding with anything else, as many of the things to try will totally wipe out all of your data on the BB (assuming it's not already gone, that is).

Once you have your BB running normally and not forcing an OTA update, you can try this:

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If that cannot work for one reason or another, then the BBSAK utility (BBSAK.ORG) would be your next choice, especially if the BB presents a 507 error.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code