07-13-2012 10:07 PM
I have a bold 9790 with wind but i cant get the update for 7.1 but it is available for like all of the other models and i was wondering if i used the update file for the bold 9900 would it still work properaly?
07-14-2012 11:59 AM - edited 07-14-2012 11:59 AM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
The BB OS packages are only usable on the EXACT model number for which the OS package was created...so the answer to your question is NO. But...you can use an OS package from a different carrier if you desire, as long as it's for your specific model number.
The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:
Good luck and let us know!