Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

7.1 OS Update Problem

Hi, I am in the middle of updating the software on my Blackberry Bold 9900 to 7.1 OS. It has froze for over an hour in the backup phase. There is a message onscreen that reads, 'Please wait while your BlackBerry Device Software is being updated. During these steps, do not disconnect your device or interrupt this process as it could make your device unusable.' What should I do?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: 7.1 OS Update Problem

Is this an update being done over the air (ota) or do you have it plugged into the computer and using Desktop Manager?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I've tried every method, can't update the thing. None of them work. Tried online, OTA, the desktop program.

Can't log into the App World on my phone, which is basically why i wanted to update as I thought this may rectify the problem. It keeps saying 'Unable to log into your BlackBerry ID account'. Used to work fine, can log into my ID on the website too, but not on my phone to update my apps or download new ones. Advice?

Thanks for your reply!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

So, where are we now? Are you plugged into the pc and attempting this using DM?

Also, did you try this Article on the BB ID problem?

"Unable to login to your BlackBerry ID account" or "Unable to update your BlackBerry ID account information" error occurs on a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 7 - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB28212
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks again John, you're being a real help here.

I've been doing this 3 hours. OTA it wouldn't download the software, and then on both the online method and the DM method via USB it froze during the backup of my SMS. I have since give up. I've the most basic softare on this too, would really like to update to improve usabilty.

So basically perform the Reset to Factory Settings, but backup before doing so for my ID problem?

Guru II

You're going a little to fast here. Is the device functional? Last I read it was stuck on the backup phase but I don't know whether it's plugged into a PC or doing an OTA update.

If it's functional then lets see if we can solve the actual problem before trying to update the software. Updating software doesn't necessarily improve usability. It depends on the software version already installed.

New Contributor

Sorry, my bad. Firstly, I tried updating via the OTA method, however this was showing no hope of working.

I then tried the web based updates by connecting my phone via USB, this is when it froze for over an hour during back up. So I eventually unplugged the device from the computer as everything had froze, and luckily it was still functioning.

Finally I tried the desktop software, and it froze at the same point during the back up, so I unplugged it again with no problems.

I can use the internet and everything fine on my phone, just can't log into the App World, which is the main irritating thing as some of my apps are rather glitchy and I reckon the updates that are there for them could improe this? Back up and Factory Rest or what do you suggest? Thanks again!

Guru II

I would start by following the instructions in the KB article.  Let's move off of updating the OS for now.  Lets see if we can fix the AppWorld issue. 

Did you try the workaround steps in the KB?  Do everything except for updating to the latest device software. When you get to the step where you do a factory reset, you'll definitely want to have a backup.  However, it sounds like backup is giving you a problem.  I would suggest a selective backup where you choose the important databases to backup like calendar, contacts, etc. and skip anything that you think is suspect or that you don't need.

New Contributor

Sorry about the delay, sleep was required. I read the article, not quite sure how to send a PIN message to myself? Have done hard resets in the past to speed the phone up or when it has froze, but it never fixed the AppWorld issue. So I guess I'll need to go for the factory reset? I'll try these steps in about 12 hours when I get home!

Guru II

Your pin is listed in Options. Just search for pin. Then open the messages app and hit the menu key and select cpmpose pin. Use that pinin the To field. You can even creat an address book entry for yourself and add the pin.