Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
ChantelErfort
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom

Re: 7.1 OS Update Problem

Hi

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to update to 7.1 OTA, but on the screen that says Backing Up Your Data, it reaches social feeds (0%) and Overall backup Progress (11%) and just hangs. This morning it stayed there for four hours before I tried to restart my phone. I took the battery out for five minutes, and when I turned the phone back on, it did exactly the same thing. I can't get to my home screen and am not able to use my phone. I'm not near my home PC to plug the phone in and connect via Desktop Manager. 

PLEASE help me...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Just let it go. Sometimes it takes a very long time but will finally complete.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChantelErfort

Ok. I will try that.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChantelErfort

It's still not working...

Tried connecting to Desktop Manager, but it's still hanging at 11%

Any way to do a master reset even though I don't have access to my menues?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
engineerabbass
My Device: china 9860
My Carrier: bsnl

not working
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I highly recommend just leaving the device be.  Plug it in to a wall charger and leave it alone.  It can take hours sometimes.  I don't know why, and it's a real drag but, it usually will complete if you leave it be for a day or so.  However, if you must have it back sooner you can follow the directions below.  Warning:  Unless you have a backup made from Desktop Manager or BB Protect, you will lose all your data and have to start over from scratch.  If you wish to do that, follow the instructions below:

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

3. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

4. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device.  After you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to next step.

5. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChantelErfort

i guess i'll have to give that a try and be without a handset for "a day or so..."

my husband, who has the exact phone and is with the exact carrier updated his in under an hour. This is why i'm so frustrated.

BlackBerry just keeps giving me more reasons to hate it. *sigh*

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Wish I had better news.  If it's still like that tomorrow after letting it sit then follow the instructions above.  Personally, I have never done, nor will I ever do, an OTA update.  I always make a backup with Desktop Software then update with my PC.  That is the only safe way to do it. 

Better news:  http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/12/rim-announces-jan-30-blackberry-10-launch-plans/

I know someone with a BB 10 device (not a dev alpha or beta device) who just got theirs (some kind of seed device) and is really liking it so far.  I think it's going to be a win. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChantelErfort

Ok. So I've left the 'update' running since yesterday afternoon. my BlackBerry is now restarting itself every few minutes, then going to the 'backing up your data page' where nothing happens... And then restarting again. Does this sound right? It has restarted itself about 25 times already. I think I'll give it til tomorrow and if it's not sorted I'm going to take it to a Vodacom store.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

That's not normal. You're likely going to have to wipe the device and reload the OS. Follow the instructions I posted. Unfortunately, you're going to lose your data unless you have a backup.
Please use plain text.