Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
ChrisJoyce
My Device: Blackberry 8520

Re: 7.1 update

Hi All

I have just got a new 9900 from Orange UK.

It came as expected with OS 7.0 i.e. No UMA, No Mobile hotspot etc.

I upgraded by use of BB Desktop (note I uninstalled all old version and downloaded latest just in case).

Transferred everything over from my old BB 8520 to the 9900, did the SIM card transfer with Orange (I used the new sim card that came with the phone).

Phone up and running but no UMA (or Wi-Fi Calling as BB are now calling it)

Removed from Charger and did a total re-boot (took battery out without switching off, battery back in) when boot sequence finished there it was, Wi-F- Calling, Mobile hot spot, everything advertised for 7.1 up and running.

Downloaded OS 7.1 Manual 9900 9930 OS 7.1 Manual

Problem sorted at least as far as I am concerned.

Super Contributor
craigashy
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

As said, if not understood. I don't want any 7.1 OS and I don't want to spend my day's installing, uninstalling and re-installing **bleep** from other carriers. The solution is, I will wait for Bold 9790 7.1 OS from my carrier. Thank you for all your surgestions, not sure why it went off track but it happens.
Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
If this post helps you please click the LIKE below the post(s)
Regular Contributor
darylm
My Device: NONE

With all due respect, your question did not go off track at all. If you ask the question when will carrier X release OS version Y, the obvious answer is there is no way to know, so install whatever version of OS you what from whatever carrier offers it for your phone.

Also, with respect to your claim that an OS from a different carrier is "**bleep**", I'm going to call "BS". (No pun intended.)There is no difference whatsoever between OS version X on one carrier or another carrier. Kindly refrain from making such claims and misleading others.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Contributor
lee1992
My Device: curve 9360 OS 7.1.0.336

UMA and wifi calling are not the same thing. wifi calling is when you have a set amount of minutes that you can use over wifi. UMA means you can make calls and send / recieve texts over wifi, but it uses the minutes on your tariff. All blackberry devices are UMA enabled.

Contributor
lee1992

youve just got to make sure you delete the vendor.xml file if you install an OS from a different network. 7.1 is gradually being released in the UK and over Europe though, O2 and Orange both have OS 7.1 available for certain devices, but not all of them yet. 

Super Contributor
craigashy

So if I called my network carrier, they would say it would be a good idea to install another carrier OS 7.1. Not sure they will.
Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
Contributor
lee1992

well the OS on my device is from telnor in Norway. it makes no difference what network you download the OS from , your device really does not give a monkeys, all the OS's are from RIM so weather you download it from a US, UK or African or Australian phone network, it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference
Contributor
lee1992

Regular Contributor
darylm
My Device: NONE

That link didn't work (at least not for me). This works: http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Samsung Galaxy S5
Super Contributor
craigashy

7.1 will be coming for all bb 7 devices
Craig Ashcroft Elite UK