Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

tjk34
My Device: Not Specified

BB 8130 Update 4.5 Background question

Hello all!

I just updated my BB 8130 to the 4.5 os and like most of the changes but there's one that I'd like to go away. I have a picture as my background that does not reach the top or the bottom of the screen. There used to be white space which was great but now the space is black. I can't read the clock or other indicators well at all and the whole thing now just looks trashy.

Please let me know if anything can be done!!!

Best,

T

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: BB 8130 Update 4.5 Background question

hello,

what is the real size of the picture you use as a background ? It is really really better if it fits the Pearl's scren size, that is w.h = 240x260.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
lg
lg

Re: BB 8130 Update 4.5 Background question

hi, did you ever find a resolution to this problem? the same thing happened to me when i upgraded to 4.5 and i am so disappointed b/c i loved the brightness of the white even though i couldn't see the battery or signal indicators... now it's hard to see anything.

thanks!

New Contributor
bbonthebeach09

Re: BB 8130 Update 4.5 Background now UGLY BLACK!

Hi,

I saw a couple of people's posting several month ago but no answers. I upgrade to 4.5 because I was not receiveing my email with 4.2 (could only receive 3 emails at the time). Now, when I put a pic as a home screen, everything around is BLACK. I feel depressed just by looking at my phone! It used to be white. I am using exactly the same picture than before the upgrade so it has nothing to do with the picture or the size of the picture as it was fiting and displaying perfectly before. I cannot believe that RIM did not see that in the testing! Then when you click on any icon on the screen, it becomes white as it used to be. Obviously there's a bug here and it;s right in the home screen. Any fixes? Really, it looks pretty depressing!

thanks

Guru I
Xandrex

it's the media index file that got corrupted during the upgrade. Your picture is there, but when you make it as a background image, your device reads into the index and takes false values, reslting in a non-satisfactory output.

---> take the picture, email it to yourself, receive the email, download the attachment to another folder, and use that as a background.
please give me some feedback, otherwise I'll have to invoke the Big Walkthrough That Always Works But Takes Time.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
bbonthebeach09

Hi Xandrex,

I sent myself the picture and tried to save it as you said.  I only have the option to save it in the pictures folder and it is still not working. Actually I tried to set different pictures as home screen and they all have a black background so it's not just the picture I used to have set as the home screen.

Thanks

New Contributor
bbonthebeach09

Re: BB 8130 Update 4.5 Background now UGLY BLACK! RIM EMPLOYEE IN THIS FORUM?

There's no one from RIM in this forum? This is a basic feature! I can't believe they let that bug in a new release. I don't think the media file got corrupted. There are many people complaining all over the web about this. Not only can't we read the time but in addition, you cannot see which icons you are selecting because the selection little bubble that runs across the icons is BLACK too! This is so enoying!
Guru I
Xandrex

bbonthebeach09 wrote:

Hi Xandrex,

I sent myself the picture and tried to save it as you said.  I only have the option to save it in the pictures folder and it is still not working. Actually I tried to set different pictures as home screen and they all have a black background so it's not just the picture I used to have set as the home screen.

Thanks

when you are in the picture folder, create a new folder.
and save the image you emailed to yourself into that new folder.

New Contributor
bbonthebeach09

Hi,

I can't believe this issue cannot be resolved. All the developers out here, any idea? this is really bugging me. Either I have to keep verizon ugly screen or if I put an pict that I took it's all black around the pic and I can't see which icon I am highliting because the highlight is black too!

Guru I
Xandrex

my solution works 100%. Sorry you do not want to try it.