Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BB 8320 Address Book

Hello,

I just upgraded to the latest Black Berry Device Software ver. 4.5.0.81 (Platform 2.7.0.78) on my 8320. Besides taking longer than i expected everything went perfectly smooth. So after the device restarted for the final time, i started poking around to see what changes have been made. The only one that i have a problem with is the Address Book, in the last version of software that i was running the Address Book would only show the First and Last Name of the contact and was one name on one line each one after another (see example below).

Alex Smith 

John Doe

Jane Doe

Now with the updated version of 4.5 the address book has been changed to show a contact's company name directly under their First and Last name - this is the case even if the contact does not have a company associated with them (see example below). 

Alex Smith

"company name" or "empty space"

John Doe

Jane Doe

I have gone into the options section of the address book and cant find anything that would lead to making this change. Does anyone have any idea how to change this?

Thanks

-Matthew-

Solutions: 6,111
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB 8320 Address Book

That two line adress book view is one of the new "features". Not an option to change.

So.... enjoy!  

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

can someone post a screenshot please ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

JSanders,

thanks for the quick reply, its good to see BB adding new features to the device software, however i am sure most would agree that the option to change this setting would be an even bigger improvement - and this also does not sound like a hard "feature" to roll up into the next update - is there anywhere i can go to make a suggestion like that?

thanks again

-Matthew- 

New Contributor

Xandrex,

I would love to, but other than physically taking a picture with a digital camera i am not to sure how to post a screen shot of my blackberry address book. However if you look at the original post the example's show how this looks. Also the new version with the double line contact

The new version 4.5.0.81

First Name & Last Name

Company Name or BLANK SPACE

(next contact) First Name & Last Name

Company Name or BLANK SPACE if no company is entered

(this show's a maximum of 6 contact's on one screen depending on your font & size)

The old version 4.2.2.171

First Name & Last Name

Next Contact

Next Contact 

(this show's 12 contact's per page or more depending on your font & size)

-Matthew- 

Solutions: 6,111
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sure you can suggest it... bbsuggestions@rim.com

Here is a screenshot:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

I have a separate question related to the BB 8320 address book post-upgrade to 4.5.0.81. I am now finding that when I start to type a name in order to perform a search of the address book that the software is sometimes not able to detect a given contact, particularly when searching by last name or company name. I have further found that once I edit the contact, the software is then able to index the name. This was not the case for the same contacts prior to the upgrade.

Any ideas why this might be the case?

Thanks for the help.