Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BB Calendar Missing Crucial Functionality

How it should work:

1) Select a time using a calendar view

2) Choose "New appointment"

3) Link directly to Contacts from the Subject line of the appointment and choose a contact

4) Save

-5 seconds and you have the calendar entry.

-No slow re-typing of a name that you already have in your contacts list.

-No tedious auto-emails zipping about to "attendees" when you have already arranged the meeting via phone or in person.

-You have a link to the contact's phone and email right there in the appointment where you would want it.

I cannot believe that this super-basic functionality is not included in BB software. Has anyone seen an app that offers this? It is common in the Windows and Palm worlds, but I have looked at Agendus and Pocket Informant with no luck.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BB Calendar Missing Crucial Functionality

I don't know how you do that...
when I create an appointment :
1) I choose the day and time.
2) I write a subject line
3) menu key >> contacts I choose one contact
4) same as 3)
5) I add some text in the Notes field
6) I save & send the notification.

doesn't take 5s, but does take less than 10s.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is possible to text in a person's name as the subject but re-entering text that is already in the system and not having it linked to the contact pretty much ignores the purpose of a computer. I also want to avoid having emails going out to folks that I already made an appointment with. That would be great within an organization for arranging multi-party meetings, but it is not very useful when working with folks who are not online regulalry and who do most of their communicating via the phone. That extra time required to text in the name also makes it less appealing to actually schedule an appointment while on the phone with someone. Instead you end up jotting down the details on a scrap of paper and then entering it after you hang up. Very 1970s. Surely this basic functionality should be part of the BB interface.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Guru I

let me check if I understand what you are saying.

You want to book meetings with people, but not send them an invitation.
--> why do you care if an email is sent to them ? If you select them in your address book, you don't have to type their name.
--> Then don't add them as attendees, just type their names in the Notes field.

You don't want to type their name each time
--> then create an autotext
--> or copy/paste from the attendee field (after adding one) to the Notes field.

It's a matter of 3 more seconds from the regular use of a calendaring tool. I think your need is not something basic and that it goes against all what makes an event scheduler efficient. I loathe Outlook everyday because people often book meetings with me (without telling me) and forget to send me a notification, just because Outlook gives them the choice to send the invitation to the attendees. They often think it's an error message and swiftly click on "cancel".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

The BB will certainly do the job when all of your appointments are arranged via invite-style emails to co-workers that spend their days with access to their corporate email. In the case of a consultant or a salesperson working with the general public, appointments tend to be made by phone and the customer may not be on email every day.  Massage therapists, financial planners, or salespeople often have the same “subject” for an appointment; the customer’s name. The need to type the customer’s name into the subject line really does slow down the process of setting the appointment if the other party is on the phone with you while you hunt and peck. It will also lead to misspellings that will make it more difficult to find all of the instances of their appointments at a later date. Every smartphone app tries to minimize keystrokes for good reason. And of course anytime a contact’s name appears in your PIM it ought to link back to the contact’s info instead of just being plain text. That is a fundamemtal aspect of good PIM design. Had I known that the BB is really intended to work in one very narrow context for setting appointments I would have stuck with my Windows Mobile device that does what I describe with no problem. RIM is promoting their phones to a broad range of professionals and consumers, not just to large enterprise users. The fact that the BB can make the type of appointment that I want, but in a more cumbersome and functionally deficient manner, is not much of a selling point.

Thanks for your reply nonetheless.
Guru I

scottmcn wrote:
The BB will certainly do the job when all of your appointments are arranged via invite-style emails to co-workers that spend their days with access to their corporate email. In the case of a consultant or a salesperson working with the general public, appointments tend to be made by phone and the customer may not be on email every day.  Massage therapists, financial planners, or salespeople often have the same “subject” for an appointment; the customer’s name.
On a personal point of view, from an IT perspective, it is a perversion
of the subject. An attendee is an attendee, and a meeting subject is a
meeting subject. But that's interesting, I have never written the name of the person I meet in the subject of an event. I don't know if there are really so many people wanting that feature, I don't have that in Outlook, nor in Thunderbird, nor in Lotus Notes, nor on my old Nokia phone, nor on my Motorola phone, nor on Google Calendar. So I guess you can't blame a calendaring applicationnot to provide that feature. Maybe you can pay someone to develop a third party application that will give you a new screen for inputting calendar events, but I really don't think RIM will ever provide that feature.

I guess a tool is what users make out of it. And Blackberry technologies are not at all famous for flexibility.

scottmcn wrote:
It will also lead to misspellings that will make it more difficult to find all of the instances of their appointments at a later date. Every smartphone app tries to minimize keystrokes for good reason.

Like I said earlier, it's easy for you to :
1) add the attendee using the BB feature
2) copy the attendee  (menu key >> copy)
3) scroll up
4) meny key >> paste

point 1 is as fast as if you had the feature "select subject from address book"
points 234 are just a matter of less than 2 seconds.
and no spell errors.

scottmcn wrote:
And of course anytime a contact’s name appears in your PIM it ought to link back to the contact’s info instead of just being plain text. That is a fundamemtal aspect of good PIM design.

Yes I agree, that feature is not available : not in SMS, not in MMS, not in mails, not in calendar events. Is it on Windows Mobile applications ?

scottmcn wrote:
Had I known that the BB is really intended to work in one very narrow context for setting appointments I would have stuck with my Windows Mobile device that does what I describe with no problem. RIM is promoting their phones to a broad range of professionals and consumers, not just to large enterprise users.

Well, in my personal opinion, tha's the marketing mistake from RIM.

What does a late 2008 Storm or Bold have today that a 8810 of early 2007 does not have ?

-> a 3.5 jack for listening to music

-> Stereo Bluetooth

-> a bigger screen (clickable touchscreen for the Storm)

-> a faster hardware

all the rest is pretty much the same. There are some leisure applications available for all Blackberry devices (Media sync with Apple, facebook, MySpace), but still no real Media player.

Blackberry devices still rock in BES environment. the BIS one is a subset of it, as well as the other usages of it.

New Contributor

Great idea on the copy-paste from the attendee field to the subject field. I had thought of that but had been displaying the attendee email address in the attendee field. This gets me very close to the functionality I was looking for. I just delete the attendee after pasting the name into the subject field.

Agenda One from Developer One (Windows Mobile) lets you pull a contact right into an appointment subject field. When you think about this outside of the corporate world it really makes sense. Does a housecleaner or a landscaper want to put "clean house" or "cut grass" in the subject field of every one of their appointments? Probably not, but the customer's name linked to their contact info would be very helpful. RIM appears to be thinking of every appointment as a "meeting" within an enterprise with other networked enterprise users.

I think we agree that RIM is kind of reaching beyond their core user base by promoting their phones to consumers and small business. I have the Storm from Verizon and they advertise it by pushing the mobile media viewing-music playing-texting your friends aspects. I like it as the screen gives you a much better view of your calendar, web pages, etc.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. They have been very helpful.

Guru I

Xandrex wrote:

scottmcn wrote:
The BB will certainly do the job when all of your appointments are arranged via invite-style emails to co-workers that spend their days with access to their corporate email. In the case of a consultant or a salesperson working with the general public, appointments tend to be made by phone and the customer may not be on email every day.  Massage therapists, financial planners, or salespeople often have the same “subject” for an appointment; the customer’s name.
On a personal point of view, from an IT perspective, it is a perversion of the subject. An attendee is an attendee, and a meeting subject is a meeting subject.

I'd like to amplify my opinion, because that sentence can have several meanings.

As an IT person, I think the subject should not contain the attendee's name. You don't mix apples and blackberries :smileywink:

What could be more consistent, and by the same way would help you, is to display the attendee instead of the subject in the events view (day or week or month).

That way, you keep the consistency of having an attendee in the dedicated field, and still have the relevant information for you. Maybe some other people would rather have displayed neither the subject, nor the attendee, but the location.

And it's easier to code too. Hey maybe the calendar layout can be modified in a Plazmic theme ? I don't know. But I do know that it's pretty easy to display a "next events list" on the home screen a bit like the Today Theme.

http://www.plazmic.com/en/products/index.shtml

My Device: Blackberry Storm

I totally agree and miss my old 6-year-old PDA for easy copying and pasting of one name to a similar appointment to the same or a new time next week. The Copy function and the Paste function are on the Menu, but don't allow that function.

~Kyleat