Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
SnafuBE
My Device: z10 and 9810 torch
My Carrier: bell

BB Protect question

Why is the functionality of BB Protect different when on a 9810 (OS 8?) versus a on a z10?  On my 9810 Protect backups my info so that it can be restored at a future date if needed (ex. OS needs to be reinstalled).  However, on the z10 Protect is mainly for locating a lost phone.  

Different functionality for identically named apps.  Confusing.

Is there a BB App that can be used to backup a z10?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Protect question

Hello,

SnafuBE wrote:

Why is the functionality of BB Protect different when on a 9810 (OS 8?) versus a on a z10?

The true answer to "why" is something that we here in this user-to-user community cannot really ever know, for the true answer requires access to and revelation of internal proprietary information, decision making processes, etc...all of which are barred by the Ts and Cs of this site along with any NDA's that anyone may be subject to. So, we really cannot know "why" this is so.

I agree though that I wish it were not so. But, even if the functionality were the same and BB Protect could back up a BB10 device, one should not IMHO rely on BB Protect as the sole component of a good backup process. Rather, it should be a piece of what one does to protect their priceless data, but should not be used alone. Refer to the link below for instructions regarding a recommended backup process for legacy devices.

SnafuBE wrote:

Is there a BB App that can be used to backup a z10?

As has always been the case, there is an app for that. With legacy, it is called the Desktop Software. With BB10, it is called LINK. Either can be obtained here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.