Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
berrier
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: XL
Accepted Solution

BB Protect: what can make it fail?

My bb was stolen.  I happened to activate BB Protect before and I have commanded it to Wipe.  Is there anything the thief can do to fail the command? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: BB Protect: what can make it fail?

If the battery is removed from the phone it will not wipe until power is applied to the phone and it starts up, and at the same time it has to be able to receive the mobile network.

To disable Blackberr Protect while the phone is operational the user would require the phone's password. By default 10 wrong password attemps will wipe the phone and it will be useless without a re-install of the OS and software. 

If you have no password in the phone then anyone who is smart and knows how to us a Blackberry can stop Blackberry Protect if he does this before you send the wipe.

If you change your Blackberry account ID on line, then the phone can no longer do updates, or install any software. With this you have to call in to your provider and report the phone missing. The phone's IMEI number should be reported to the carrier as lost or stolen. This way it can be cancelled. The phone will be useless.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
berrier

[ Edited ]

My phone was locked by password.

I also want to display the large message via BB Protect.  Is this possible? (considering the device may had been wiped, reinstalled OS,  got new sim card/new number, and being used by someone out there)

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,880
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

berrier wrote:
considering the device may had been wiped, reinstalled OS,  got new sim card/new number, and being used by someone out there)

If any of those actions occured that you have listed, your wipe or message via Protect will not work.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
berrier

[ Edited ]

I was thingking the BB Protect is connected via PIN, so no matter what it can deploy command to the device.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,880
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It is connected via the PIN, and the BlackBerryID. Sorta double connected.

But the point is, once the battery is dead, or the SIM has been removed, or the BlackBerryID has been channged, you no longer have "communication" with that device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.