Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB9700 - Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

sponstage wrote:

What if I unlock the phone? at that point I can use my phone overseas with another carrier and use wi-fi free spots at the same time too, right?

Unlocking the phone would free it from the constraints of a particular carrier, yes.  You could then take up service with a foreign carrier and get Wi-Fi at Wi-Fi free hotspots.  However, with BlackBerry phones, you must have a BlackBerry data plan associated with the SIM card that is attempting to use those Wi-Fi hotspots.

When you have a proper BlackBerry data plan, your phone receives service books which tell the phone how to access Wi-Fi properly.  You putting a SIM card with that plan allows your phone to access those service books.  Without a BlackBerry data plan, your phone doesn't receive those service books and therefore does not know how to access Wi-Fi.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
amar-cheema_15
My Carrier: 02

would you get charged for having the data services on, in order to use a Wifi on the blackberry
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RG99
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I have read this thread but I'm still not getting it I'm afraid.

I have a 9300 that was bought SIM-free, so not locked to a mobile operator. I have just upgraded it to OS 6.

I want to use it to access the web from my home WiFi and not through the mobile operator.

It's connected with a good signal to my home server . The server name shows on the BB screen and there's the white icon. 

If I set Data On in the Mobile section the browser connects via the mobile operator.

If I set Data Off in the Mobile section the browser tells me I have no internet connection.

Please tell me how to get round this. 

EDit: I can't find the Services Status page iluustrated earlier. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damnpradeep
My Carrier: Vodafone

I m using only wifi to browse. While my mobile operator network is still ON. Let me tell you how to do this. 1.In manage connections, turn on both Mobile network and wifi. 2.Now in browser goto options and select browser configuration. Now change the Browser to hotspot browser. This should allow you to browse through wifi and still get messages and calls from mobile network. NOTE: Data services dose not mean only internet data. It means calls, messages and Internet. Don't get confused!. So this should be always ON to send or receive anything. To check if this is working or not. While u are loading some page, suddenly turn OFF ur modem. Wifi icon will disappear and it will start using your network.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RG99

2.Now in browser goto options and select browser configuration. Now change the Browser to hotspot browser.

In Browse Options I don't have a hotspot option. What am I missing?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damnpradeep

Browser option>Browser configuration> browser> hotspot browser

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RG99

I am in Browser Options. There is:

Startup Page

Home Page

Enable Keyboard Shortcuts

Prompt before ...

Web content...

Text Encoding

Privacy

Geolocation

Clear Browsing

No mention of Hotspots 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damnpradeep

try going through Menu screen> options>advanced options >browser>Default browser configuration>hotspot

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RG99

Under All > Options > I don't have Advanced options. Only Networks & Connections.

Under Browser > Options only options I listed before

I have been through all possible menus, can't find any mentiuon of Hotspots.

Using OS6 in a 6300. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RG99

Thanks for your help damnpradeep. I have to close now. Will check again later.

Please use plain text.