Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

hishammahrousm89
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: etisalat

Re: BB9700 - Could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF?

cycmarcelo wrote:

Hi all,

I have a BlackBerry 9700 with a Data Plan, and it's was all perfect using 3G and WIFI browsing and using internet, but the thing is that I have to travel out of the country next week for a month and I don't want to pay BlackBerry Data Services Roaming ... I only want my cellphone working with voice and sms, and use internet when I got a HotSpot with WIFI...

So I tried to turn OFF the Data Services and connect to the HotSpot from my work.... and it can't connect!! and show this message "Failed to obtain an IP address"... but if I turn ON the Data Services and try again using WIFI... it can connect to the same HotSpot, obtain an IP and everything works normally....

My question is.... could I use WIFI with Data Services OFF? because that is when I really need WIFI services, because with Data Services ON, I can always use my 3G services and never need WIFI in my city...

If the answer is YES... then How can I configure it???

thanks in advance!

The ONLY way to almost  stop data service with your WIFI ON  do as the following:

go to Options >Applications  and press  menu > Edit Default Permissions then

go to connections press menu> Expand that will expand to sub-connections options..OK.

Then go straight and Deny > Server Network, phone and Internet.  Go Back , save , And Restart......DONE!!!

" For double check ... Check all your applications after restart  if that settings is applied to all your applications "

what we have done here is trying to avoid any connections between any application with the data service of your provider network ....Note that any future app will get the same  Permission settings unless you edit it !!

" The Possible Hard Way Better than Imppossible Easy Way "

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damnpradeep
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

This solves everything, BB is so not user friendly. I dono y i use this device

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FIXXXER
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: voddafone

i can't change my browser to hotspot using os 6
Please use plain text.
Developer
Raestloz
My Device: Z10 STL100-1
My Carrier: Telkomsel

BlackBerry 6 automatically uses Hotspot Browser if you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.

You can (read: have to) manually change the browser type back in BlackBerry Device Software 5, but no longer in BlackBerry 6
BlackBerry Z10, keeps you flowing
Please use plain text.
Horia_Barbuta
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Cosmote Romania

Hi, all!

Another way to prevent your device from connecting to the data services is Options -> Device -> Advanced System Settings -> TCP IP and here uncheck all boxes.

So you will use WiFi with no worries about mobile data draining.

Kind regards,

:Flowers:

Please use plain text.