Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Regular Contributor
My Device: blah

BBM Usage vs. charges

Ok, I have never really used BBM until today on my Torch.  Playing around with it has raised a few questions, but I am finding mixed results online & within the forums so if a BB employee can verify, that would be great!

About the BBM (namely the version that came with my Torch 9800)...

1.  Does sending PIN messages incur a text message cost or a data usage charge?  How about receiving PIN messages?  What about USA-to-international PIN msgs?

2.  Does sending SMS messages through BBM incur a text message cost or a data usage charge?  How about receiving SMS messages?  Does it make a difference on my end if the other person does NOT use/have BBM and replies/sends via SMS?  Does it make a difference if sending to/receiving from an international location when in the USA?

3.  Does sending email messages through BBM incur a text message cost or a data usage charge?  How about receiving them?

4.  Although I somewhat asked this in the above questions, I just wanted someone to explain/verify if there are additional charges when sending/receiving to/from international users...?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS; PlayBook w/OS
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BBM Usage vs. charges

1.  PIN messages (sending and receiving) are data.

2.  SMS Messages are text messages whether handled with BBM or normally.  The person on the other end has no idea how or what program you used to send them.  If you have that sms contact in BBM then the other person will just send you a regular sms message and it will show in  your BBM. 

3.  Email through BBM?  How you add a contact to bbm, whether pin or email, doesn't really matter.  It still uses pin to pin messaging, which is data. 

4.  There are no extra charges for sending pin messages to international users.  Data is data.  I've never sent an sms message to an international number so I don't recall on that one.

1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: blah

Re: BBM Usage vs. charges

Thanks for the info.  I wanted to wait a day or two and check out my usage online...

As you noted, PIN msgs are data, and those invited via email -IF they have a PIN, are also data.  If they DON'T have a PIN (not a BB user) and email invite is sent (assuming that works), then I'm not sure how that shows up - data or text.  Lastly, the SMS thru BBM goes thru as text at the same price, whether international or local... at least, on my end.  Not sure about the recipient.

I did notice something, not sure if it's because of the Torch (world phone) or the BBM giving me this feature but I am now able to SMS my relatives overseas.  In the past, I tried it with my Curve 8310 via SMS, and it would never reach the recipient.  I didn't have BBM on it so not sure if it's that or Torch...  But anyways, I can now text overseas, and that's definitely a plus for me. Smiley Happy