Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Visitor
rvandolson
My Device: Not Specified

BIS + Apache + OWA 2007

[ Edited ]

Hello all, we're running OWA 2007 behind an Apache 2.2.x reverse proxy.  We had the "Basic auth" fix in place for /EWS for a while, but it's not currently in place so we have more of a "virgin" environment to troubleshoot in (oddly enough some users seem to work fine without the"fix" while some consistently will have issues).

What's happening is that when a BB user sends an email with their OWA/BIS enabled account, it's delivered correctly but shows up as being from $RANDOM_USER.  It also appears in $RANDOM_USER's Sent Mail folder!

The issue seems to go away if the BB user configures their BIS account to have their email address in the "Your Name" field (by default it's blank).

We're able to consistently reproduce this issue and do have RIM support working on it, but thought I'd see if it rings a bell with anyone here.  I'm wondering if this could potentially be related to the EWS issue... perhaps somehow the backend servers have no way of knowing which user is connecting and thus a user is chosen at random.  Some observations though:

• I'm still not sure how users are authenticating at all without the EWS fix.  I guess potentially NTLM authentication can succeed sometimes.
  • From packet inspection, in most of the HTTP requests I see no cookie information in the HTTP headers, nor any information in the XML payload indicating which user is making the request (nor in the actual request itself, although sometimes there is a username there, but not always).  I'm not sure how the backend servers have any idea which user is associated with many of these commands.  Perhaps via connection tracking?  I could easily see this being a problem.
  • I'm not sure if this would be the fault of Exchange or BIS.  I'm leaning towards Exchange as it seems it shouldn't just assign random users to emails if it's not sure where they're coming from (and accepting delivery to boot).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Message Edited by rvandolson on 08-18-2009 11:10 AM
New Contributor
mike_peters
My Device: 9000

Re: BIS + Apache + OWA 2007

Hey did you ever get this fixed/Resolved.

Mike

Australia