Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

My Device: Bold 9000 (AT&T)

BIS Doesn't Recognize Google Apps Email

I have 2 Google Apps domains that I am using up with my Bold on AT&T (BIS). With BIS 2.6 and Gmail using IMAP, I wanted to remove and re-add my accounts to take advantage of syncing read mail status back to the server.

I setup the first email account/domain with no problem. It was immediately recognized at being a Gmail/Google Apps account and was setup accordingly and emails are immediately pushed to my Bold. The other domain, though, is not recognized at Gmail/Google Apps. I put in the username/password and it sits at "processing" for a while and then says it's unable to configure the account and I have to set it up manually. When I do this, the email is not pushed immediately and there is a 10-15 minute delay.

However, BOTH domains were recognized as Gmail/Google Apps when I initially set them up back in November 2008 when it was using POP. It worked before, but doesn't now.

Is there any way I can get BIS to recognize this domain as being with Google Apps so I can get push email on my Bold like other Google Apps domains?

Thanks,
Matt
My Device: Bold 9000 (AT&T)

Re: BIS Doesn't Recognize Google Apps Email

Anybody have any possible answers? Been searching the internet for days now.
Contributor
My Device: 9630 Tour 5.0.0.419 Telus Mobility
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue.  I have submitted a ticket through my carrier to get it resolved. 

I had to call back 2 times before I got a technician who understood what I was talking about though.  

The second tech says he found an internal knowledgebase article that says they have to escalate the domain name and problem description to RIM to get them to reset the domain name history so that it will autodetect that the MX entries are now pointing to the Google apps servers and this will allow the Gmail integration and automatic setup to kick in properly. The most common situation where this happenes is when the domain was hosted somewhere else and you move it over to google apps.  The RIM BIS server seems to cache the old hosting service information and doesn't notice that it's now pointing to the Google apps mail servers so you loose the easy setup and automatic push until it's fixed.

The workaround is to manually turn on imap support in your account settings when logged into the webmail interface on your google apps domain and then use the imap server settings you find in the help menu for "other" imap client or just go here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

The instructions for blackberry in the google apps help assume that the automatic configuration is working.  

The problem though is that if you do the imap settings manually then the push integration may not work and you may continue to get duplicates of your sent messages unless you setup a filter to exclude those messages.  With the filter in place there are a few conditions under which email that you didn't send will not forward to your device.  The most common one would be spammers trying to impersonate your email address but who wants those?  The second would be if you try to email yourself something from a web form that uses your email address as the sender.  Stuff like that tends to get trapped by the "do not forward" rule you would setup to prevent the duplicates.

Message Edited by QueBall on 05-05-2009 01:22 AM
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Did you have any luck getting this sorted out?  If so, was it something RIM had to manually do to reset their BIS servers?  I'm having the exact same issue, but going from a custom domain with google apps, to one hosted with yahoo.  RIMs BIS server still thinks the MX records are pointed to google instead of yahoo.