Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

G60
New Contributor
G60
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2 UK

BIS. Serious roaming issues.

Hi there,

I have a Bold 9900 which I use on O2 UK on a "Pay as you go" basis.

Firstly I have the correct Blackberry Tariff and secondly I work abroad for most of the time.

The problem:

Several months ago I had a Bold 9780 and data stopped working whilst I was abroad. When I rang my carrier I was told that I had exceeded my daily data allowance and that I would have to buy another "bolt on" to get it working again. This worked fine, until I went abroad again.

I now have a Bold 9900 and exactly the same thing is happening everytime I go abroad and so each time I phone my carrier (O2)they say I have been blacklisted by Blackberry. I buy the bolt on and within 24 hours it works and then it is cut off again. Apparently it is RIM who automatically disable BIS if it has been re-enabled whilst the phone is roaming. This is now happening nearly every day and I am unsure why. I believe RIM put a daily 5mb roaming data limit but I cannot find any evidence of this on the internet - On O2's website it says the limit is 10Mb, but I have been advised over the phone that it is 5mb and that it is RIM who set this limit. I am aware of both phones history's and they are not stolen.

With regard to the data being used, I have an app that I installed in the last week which measures data usage. I am not even hitting 500Kb a day, never mind 5mb. Regarding apps, I have no other apps running. I only use my blackberry for email and do not have HTML email on, nor do I "auto download" attachments. It is vital that I have my blackberry working when I'm abroad as I do not have access to wifi. However I am becoming very frustrated with the lack of support from my carrier and the fact that I cannot use the phone for what it is intended.

What exactly is this "blacklisting"? O2 have actually told me to post on this forum as they don't have a clue about it either.

I am thinking of giving the whole Blackberry thing up now as I've had enough - the service was excellent but now I find its very poor. At one point I was even thinking of swapping my contract phone to a Blackberry. So glad I didn't!!

Can anybody offer some advice please?

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: BIS. Serious roaming issues.

Hey G60,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Roaming and data related issues are generally handled by your service provider, but we would suggest contacting your service provider again to see if they can have this issue escalated to Research In Motion® on your behalf for further investigation

Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
G60
New Contributor
G60

Many thanks for the first response I've ever had regarding this issue. My carrier tells me that they cannot see the data that has been used and that it is not them who apply the bar but RIM. The next time I speak to them I will ask them to escalate the case.

Whilst I am here and I assume you work for RIM, what exactly is this blacklisting? If I changed my SIM would that make any difference?

Thanks again. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Blacklisting refers to an action taken by either RIM or your carrier which results in the phone not being able to be registered on any wireless network worldwide, in effect making it useless.  A phone will generally be blacklisted if it has been reported stolen.  Similar to what you've heard, I've also heard of RIM blacklisting a phone that has surpassed its allotted data allowance while roaming.  I think this is absurd but I've heard of it happening.

The only entity that can remove the blacklist is RIM and the only way to get ahold of RIM without cost to you is to have your issue escalated to them by your carrier.  So, step one would be to call your carrier and tell them your phone has been blacklisted and you need to be escalated to RIM for resolution.  Step two is to insist (not ask, but INSIST) that they escalate your issue to RIM.  If your carrier cannot resolve your issue (which in this case they cannot), they are contracted by RIM to escalate your issue.

Call them up and don't hang up until you've spoken to RIM directly.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
G60
New Contributor
G60

Bill,

Great advice and it now feels like I am getting somewhere at least with some explanation and reasoning. When you say ask to escalate the case to RIM, would this mean I would be transferred to them via my carrier?

Also, if I have no luck with this, do you think a replacement SIM would work or is it a little deeper rooted? (ie. PIN/IMEI that is blocked)

Thanks again. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

To have an issue escalated to RIM, a user would call his/her carrier and be told that they are unable to assist.  At that point, the user would request to have the issue escalated and that would be done on the spot by the carrier.  If it's not done right there and then, the user would be given a toll-free number with which to reach RIM tech support.

As for the phone being blacklisted, blacklisting involves the phone's PIN so replacing the SIM card would be useless.  You can't get much more to the heart of the phone than the PIN so that's why it's used.

I hope that explains things for you.  Please post back if further clarification is needed.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
G60
New Contributor
G60

[ Edited ]

Update - I still have the problem and when  I called O2 UK yesterday, I was told that I could not escalate the case to RIM through O2. Although I doubt what the adviser said as his knowledge appeared very limited, I am getting to the end of my tether with O2/RIM.

RIM - WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????? PLEASE ADVISE???

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

G60 wrote:

Update - I still have the problem and when  I called O2 UK yesterday, I was told that I could not escalate the case to RIM through O2. Although I doubt what the adviser said as his knowledge appeared very limited, I am getting to the end of my tether with O2/RIM.

Wow...the reports of poor support from O2 just keep piling in here...this is quite sad indeed. Everything we know indicates that the rep you spoke to is just flat wrong. Then again, the reason that they "could not escalate" may well be an internal policy thing at O2...but, no one here, on this volunteer-supported user-to-user community can know for sure...unless perhaps someone happens to work for O2 (though, typically, carrier CSRs are barred from participating on this site).

G60 wrote:

RIM - WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????? PLEASE ADVISE???

While you had the earlier benefit of a reply from someone with RIM, such is never to be actually expected here...hence, the advice from HB above remains as-is.

As for your subsequent information, there may be a tiny update...there seems to be conflicting information about who actually "blocks" a particular BB. One side says that RIM does it, the other side says that the carriers control it. In truth, I think that both are somewhat correct...witness...if a Carrier blocks a BB, that block must carry throughout the world in order to be of any real use. But, to do so requires the blockage to transition via the RIM systems to all carriers in the world. Hence, I believe it would remain with the originating carrier to unblock it...but figuring out which carrier, of the hundreds in the world, actually initiated the block could well be an insurmountable query. Hence, if O2 is not the originating carrier of the block, then from their perspective, the block indeed comes from RIM...even though it may well only transition through RIM from a different carrier.

All that said...it also would certainly not be the first time a carrier CSR simply used the "blame RIM" catch-all excuse for not actually doing what they are required as per all contractual arrangements.

I guess that I'd recommend continuing to contact O2 until you find an agent who is willing to actually do their job...that, or one that will give you adequate information so that you can know how to proceed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.