Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
davidasheppard
My Device: Blackberry Various
My Carrier: Vodafone

BIS via webmail - Users received lots of old Emails

I have tried to get an answer from vodafone but not getting anywhere i just wondered if anyone else has had similar issues or know where i can go to get answers.

On the 7th February at 12pm GMT we made a change to our Email infrastructure that consisted of us adding a load balancer to our external webmail address.

When we made the change we had 20 of our blackberry BIS users in Spain that are connected to the Vodafone BIS network that experienced several issues. At the time of the change the users below started receiving a lot of old Email that had been cleared from the Email accounts previously. All users were affected and one user received 400 Emails dating back to November in there Inbox.

We also had messages appearing in UK users sent items that were sent as the Spanish Users, very strange!

We use BES in our company for all the others offices and they were fine it was only BIS that had the stange issues

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: BIS via webmail - Users received lots of old Emails

What., exactly, are you wanting to know here? Obviously the change caused the issue since it happened to everyone. Were they able to just delete the emails and carry on?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davidasheppard

Hi,

We abandoned the change and removed the load balancer as we were concerned about effect it was having.

We have iphones HTC's and blackberrys on BES that were all fine only BIS via OWA went crazy. We need to make the change to our webmail again but cant have all the Emails downloading again.

So we need to know why BIS went crazy so we can try and avoid a repeat of the issues

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

There are no settings for BIS. It is all backend on BlackBerry's side. Do you have T-Support with your BES? I would suggest contacting them and see if you can sneak some BIS support through that channel.

That said, I don't recall old email being populated to a BIS enabled account but maybe something has changed. The only thing I can think of is that the BIS system, for some reason, sees those as new emails and sends them to the device. Have you tried having those 20 users disconnect from the BIS account and then re-add them after you make your changes? The users would likely lose the mails they currently have on their devices, though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
davidasheppard

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yes we do have BES technical support and I sort help from them but they were unable to help as they also do not know the workings of BIS.

Unfortunately the BIS Emails effected a lot of VIPS and they are pushing for answers.

Please use plain text.