Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
Kyriacos
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

BlackBerry Podcasts on OS 7.1

[ Edited ]

After recently upgrading my device software to my carrier’s latest official 7.1.0.342 release, my BlackBerry Podcasts app has completely disappeared. The icon appears but there is no functionality at all.

• It does not appear in App World after refreshing the uninstalled list and clearing the cache.
  • All official links online are dead or the ‘system requirements’ message is displayed, which is obviously incorrect as the app has been previously used on the handset.
  • Once connected, it does not appear in the Desktop Manager under Applications.
  • Downgrading to the previous OS and then reloading the 7.1 Bundle 1149 (7.1.0.342) has also not made any difference.

I would really appreciate any information on why this component is not featured in the latest official release and any suggestions of how this issue can be resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fozzie74
My Carrier: O2

Re: BlackBerry Podcasts on OS 7.1

I've just upgraded my Bold 9900 tonight to OS 7.1 Bundle 1149 and have also lost all functionality with the podcast app. The icon is there but I don't have the option to add podcast channels, subscribe / unsubscribe or even search for rss feeds.

Loaded the Blackberry Desktop Software, downgraded to the previous OS version, reinstalled the Blackberry Podcast app successfully and everything was working ok. Upgraded to the latest OS again, thinking that it might not have backed up properly the first time I upgraded but exactly the same thing happened again.

Not sure as to whether Blackberry are trying to push people towards using Social Feeds instead, as you can subscribe to RSS feeds and download "podcasts" via this method, however it's not half as good as the podcast app itself.

If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

Many thanks

Simon

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kyriacos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response Simon,

Now it is apparent that we have shared the same experience, it is at least confirmation that there is not a fault with our particular handsets or software updates, but that Blackberry have genuinely released a new OS with no Podcast functionality.

The only question this now poses, is why?

What a completely ridiculous thing to do. It makes no sense at all whatsoever and I will not buy into issues with licensing as a reason because I’ve had it working for almost a year on the previous OS. This OS 7.1 is meant to be an upgrade not a downgrade.

Using Social Feeds is okay as an option but nowhere near as good as having a dedicated app that integrates, subscribes and updates periodically.

It’s a very strange decision.

Hopefully someone on here can shed some light as to why this is and if BlackBerry are planning on bringing it back in the next update.

Kind Regards

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fozzie74

[ Edited ]

After the last few days of tweeting @BlackBerryHelp for assistance in this issue, they recommended the standard:

• have you tried reinstalling it via the BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • have you checked in Options > Device > Application Management
  • have you tried reinstalling it via the BlackBerry Desktop Software (again)
  • have you checked in Options > Device > Application Management (again)

Having tried all these options before contacting @BlackBerryHelp and with them also suggesting that I have a software problem on my pc, they finally recommended that I speak with my carrier for them to escalate this to RIM.

So I called in O2 on my way home from work today and was assisted by an extremely helpful guy who had the contact details for his local BlackBerry rep that they regularly deal with. He sent him a message via BBM, responded instantly and advised him to obtain my IMEI to pass on to O2 Technical Support to investigate further.

In the meantime, he suggested that I downgrade to the previous increment in order to restore the podcast app functionality, which I am currently in the process of doing now, as apparently it is quite common for bugs in new releases of the OS which may be fixed in later versions. Not sure how accurate this information is, but in order to get the podcast app back I'm downgrading until I get a response.

Forgot to mention, I'm downgrading to v7.0 Bundle 2406 (v7.0.0.585, platform 5.0.0.734) as this was the last version it worked under.

Will keep you posted.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kyriacos

[ Edited ]

That’s brilliant news!

Let’s hope they get back to you with some useful information. I applaud your patience in contacting them as I always find it extremely frustrating and never get very far.

Think I might downgrade too...

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

All the best.

Please use plain text.
FQ463
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: o2

[ Edited ]

Download the podcast app again from here. It is not installed on your device. I had the same problems

(personal info removed)

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
am347
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810 and Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: DU

Hello guyz.

I have torch 9810 and saw an update to OS7.1 bundle 1149. I dont use podcast at all. Just transfer all my music to memory card and thats all. Apart from Podcast issue, is there any other problem with the upgrade??? Also i heard 7.1 can now have Radio FM and wi-fi calling smthing like this. Is it true and it is there????

Click on "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved so other people on the community can quickly find and solve the similar problems they are facing. To give thanks, click on thumbs up
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz
My Carrier: N NetCom

I'm on Bold 9900 and I got the exact same problem as you guys!! I can only listen to podcasts I downloaded before the upgrade, but they are getting older every day, so they're kinda boring by now...

But I will try to install the podcast app again through the Desktop software and see if that helps, like one of you said.

When it comes to the Social Feeds or whatever that's like the first thing I deleted after getting OS 7.1 so that's out of the question. I hate that social media stuff, I want to get my late night Dutch music shows etc through the proper channel, the Podcast app :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fozzie74

I'm surprised that Blackberry haven't noticed this before releasing OS7.1. For a while I thought it was just a couple of people having this issue but now it seems as though there are a few more who may be experiencing exactly the same thing.

There's a reply on this support thread where you can download the podcast app from - not sure how genuine the site is and whether this is the official Blackberry software, however it's worked for me. I now have the podcast app back and can successfully add podcast channels and subscribe to podcasts.

Give it a go to see if it works for you. Reinstalling the app via the desktop software didn't work as for some reason, it doesn't appear to get backed up as part of the upgrade and is not listed as part of the Blackberry core applications under OS7.1.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
msky11
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: t-mobile

[ Edited ]

Thank you verry much. Works perfect. 

Please use plain text.