Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry "IMAP" on BIS -- any light at the end of the tunnel?

I am experiencing the same sync issues. If I read on my computer the status is not updated on my BB. My email client (outlook & apple mail) are updating the web mail interface. I have confirmed. But the changes are not reflected on the BB. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
New Developer
New Developer

Martin_cruse

yea... mobile email management is VERY important to users who are interested in productivity and not using a BB as compensation for having a tiny d*ck. BES costs $4,000.00 you tea bag.

A very valid question was asked as I too believed at one time BB's were business oriented.

Take a hike if you don't want to help... Facebook is calling you.

Developer
My Device: 9000, 9780, 9900

[ Edited ]

I am a very happy BES user, and inspired by that (and her curiosity and I dare say jealousy) I have been looking at portable e-mail solutions for my significant other.  Her employer does not support BES, but has an IMAP e-mail server (which is not Exchange).  I conclude that BIS is not a viable solution for someone who wants to do e-mail with an IMAP desktop client and also a BB for the following reasons:

• Significant delay between deleting on server and deleting on device - I'd rate that as a major inconvenience.
  • Read status on server not pushed to device - I'd rate that as a showstopper.

So after a hard day at the office there is a significant chance that the device will still show some previously deleted mails, and will still show some previously read mails as unread.

BIS might be a reasonable solution for someone who does only handheld e-mail.

I really don't get it.  Why does BIS not talk to IMAP properly? Or better still, why does the device client not deal direct with the server (as is the case with - gasp - other handset vendors)?

Message Edited by bigc on 03-18-2009 03:52 PM
Contributor

This might be an old thread but I'd like to add to it.  I've had Blackberries for work with BES in the past.  I got out of corporate to do independent consulting.  I got an iPhone - I am, in fact, an avid Mac user and ex-Apple employee.  Two years later I admit I have never gotten accustomed to typing on the **bleep** thing.  Email looks beautiful but if you can't type... Anyway, I got a Blackberry Bold recently.  I have my little company email via IMAP which, let me say it again, looks stunning on the iPhone and guess what?  No "proper" inbox syncing, no folders.   Imagine my horror.   Did RIM do nothing in the last two years with email support in the face of all their marketing to "consumers" that a Blackberry was a "smartphone" for "smart" business like people?  Did we not see celebrities and even the President with one?  Don't I want one?   Yet let me repeat earlier comments.  "IMAP is an open forum" (translate:  not in bed with MS).   "I pay a monthly fee to have my Blackberry."  Come on, if Apple can make it look pretty and you can make the Bold/Storm OS look like it's as cool as Apple - how about a little work on the underlying intuitive technology to actually see your email and make sure it is the same as what my desktop client is showing?   Blackberries, even BIS are supposed to sync.   Sync with IMAP or just, as they say in Argentina, open your legs and let Apple...
Developer
My Device: 9000, 9780, 9900

It is an old thread, but I'm frankly surprised that it does not show more traffic.

All the consumer guys (Apple, Palm, Nokia, ...) are doing a better and better job of moving up and attacking the professional and small-office market.  But RIM seem reluctant to allow their consumer aspirations to provide a better integration with open standards (specifically IMAP).  I guess their fear is that such a move would narrow the gap with (and erode margins on) BES.

As things stand today, I cannot recommend that my significant other use BB for combined desktop and mobile mail (using her corporate and social IMAP servers).  How is that for eroding margins?

Contributor

That's my point - if someone has the Blackberry experience with BES and moves onto using it as a non corporate, ie small business mode then it suddenly behaves erratically compared to an iPhone or WM.   Who would, besides us tech guys, even understand why this would happen.   And good point - RIM is focused on BES but I think they need to loosen the grip.  Google has already given away it's capabilities for free and Mobile Me is $99 a year.  Cut your losses and move on.   Do you know I actually have better luck using the GMail app for IMAP then RIM's own client??
Contributor

CAS wrote:

Martin_cruse

yea... mobile email management is VERY important to users who are interested in productivity and not using a BB as compensation for having a tiny d*ck. BES costs $4,000.00 you tea bag

That doesn't make sense.

A very valid question was asked as I too believed at one time BB's were business oriented.

Maybe it was a valid question. I can't remember it that well because I'd forgotten about it until your drive by trolling. However, let's imagine you go and buy a Ford. It doesn't come with a microwave oven. Nowhere on the documentation does it say that a microwave oven is included. You decide you want a microwave oven. Would you phone Ford and say "If you don't start including a microwave oven I'm going to buy a GM" or would you accept that you've bought the wrong product or service and just move on or upgrade?

What is the point in making the original veiled threat to RIM? What you purchased doesn't do what you want it to do. Did it say it would? Then you have a valid claim. Doesn't say it has this service you require? Caveat emptor.

And it still surprises me that people want to pay as little as possible to get as much as possible.

Additionally, I do want to help. You'll find that your post adds nothing to this conversation. MySpace is calling you.
New Contributor

Here's the deal. First of all let's compare apples to apples here. Do pickups come with microwaves ANYWHERE? How about let's ask the question does the BB come with IMAP like ALMOST EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE?

I'm going to be making a decision about a new phone at then end of the summer. I am not in AT&T's coverage area so iPhone is out (unfortunately). Right now I have a BB but am completely disappointed with the email situation. Even though I have this great "smartphone" I am forced to take my iPhone touch with me in the hopes that I can find a WiFi spot to get my email. It's a joke as far as I'm concerned. I guess if BB wants to focus on the "Business" world then they can have at it. I'll be switching  to a different service.

Contributor

That previous response about microwave sounded like a drunken tirade.  Geez we're just asking RIM (or as the case may be AT&T and other providers) to add a little IMAP support - I don't care about "enterprise syncing" -  I just want my inbox on by BB to look the inbox on my IMAP client and server.  How hard is that?  Do we need to start a petition?  Do I need to buy an iPhone, send it to Canada and show RIM what that looks like?  I was personally floored that after giving up an iPhone and switching to a Bold my email now looks WORSE and does not sync.  Oh right, BES...
Contributor

I wasn't drunk. I'm still not drunk. My point is still valid. If you want new features, you ask for them and justify them. Then maybe the manufacturer, when they receive enough requests, will add a microwave or full support for IMAP. When they add the microwave or the IMAP support, they may have to put the cost up to provide this service. 

My point is twofold:

One, if one customer of a company with over 10,000,000 customers makes a thinly veiled threat to take his business elsewhere because a product doesn't do what he wants it to do even though the manufacturer made no claims that it would perform this feature, that company aren't going to listen. Their observation will be that there's 9,999,999 who are happy with that feature being absent.

Two, If you want this feature then a concerted effort - yes, maybe even a petition - is going to have more effect than tirades of childish petulance. RIM have, for a long time, been going down the path of "we know what our users want" without actually asking them what they want. As someone else intimated, the email capabilities of the iPhone and iPod touch for a non corporate user are better than the features of BIS. And the Storm is just a "me too" device. RIM needs to start listening to its users again - but the users need to say "It would be great if my BB could..." instead of "I'm getting an Nokia if you don't..."

Right. NOW I'm going to get drunk.