Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
filbert
My Device: Pearl 3G 9105, PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: LogicMail is IMAP! Re: BlackBerry "IMAP" on BIS -- any light at the end of the tunnel?

Yes, LogiMail does do IMAP and also suports folders. In many ways it's what I want *but* it doesn't integrate as well with the phone (I don't get new mail notification, for example).

The biggest problem is that I can't get it to talk to my Exchange Server a/c. I admit I haven't tried too hard but will see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustinGoldberg
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: MetroPCS

Re: LogicMail is IMAP! Re: BlackBerry "IMAP" on BIS -- any light at the end of the tunnel?

[ Edited ]

The newest version of LogicMail 2.0.0.274 support blackberry ringing profiles in my aging 8703e running OS 4.5.

In fact, 2.0 was the first release to support IMAP IDLE ( which is what gives IMAP near-instant delivery).

I believe the older 1.x series didn't support Blackberry ring profiles.

twitter: justingoldberg
Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

Yes, LogicMail 2.0 has full support for IMAP IDLE and basic new message notification.  What it doesn't have yet, is the code to maintain that connection over a long period of time.  (e.g. retrying failed connections, reacting to changes in WiFi-vs-mobile-network coverage, periodically checking non-INBOX folders, disconnecting/reconnecting for POP users, etc.)  All of that is being actively worked on for LogicMail 2.1, but obviously needs a boatload of testing before its release-ready.

That being said, LogicMail 2.0 is about ready to be moved from "beta" to "release", possibly with a couple patch updates afterwards as minor issues are taken care of.  LogicMail 2.1 won't be too far off, at least for more adventurous bleeting-edge users, since its main focus is those long-term-connection capabilities.  (Other bells and whistles may get pushed to v2.2 since I know people have been clammoring for those key v2.1 features since v0.4.)

If it wasn't obvious by now, I'm actually the developer that wrote LogicMail.  You see, back when I got my first BlackBerry (a 7105t), I had all the same sorts of rants that this thread started with.  Sure there were workarounds, kludges, and maybe one or two abandonware J2ME hacks that barely functioned for a demo.  But there was no real solution.  Since this was before the iPhone or Android even existed, and I was looking for some sort of side-project, I decided to see what I could do with figuring out BlackBerry development.  It didn't take too long before I had interested users, and the rest is pretty much history.  (FYI, the reason it took so long to get from v1.x to v2.x is that the complexity of the app grew by an order of magnitude, and I do this all in my spare time.  Going by SLOC count alone, the 2.x code base is easily 4x the size of the 1.x code base.)  If anyone is curious, a few years ago I put together this presentation on how the project came to be.

Please use plain text.