Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Visitor
OrangeJay
My Device: Bold 9700

Blackberry Messenger merging contact lists between 2 devices with shared registered e-mail accounts

Model : Bold 9700 & Curve 8530
Carrier : Bell Mobility

My wife and I are experiencing a very interesting issue with BBM merging our separate contact lists across both of our devices.
As background, her Curve is just on BIS while my Bold has both BIS and BES. Recently my BES admin started making changes which allowed picture updates to work as well as re-enabling the remote backup feature.
My wife and I have some shared e-mail accounts that we both have on our devices, and with some of them being registered with remote backup on her handset and some on mine as well, which I did prior to activating on the BES. Once on the BES, the remote backup feature was blocked by the IT policy.
Now that the BES admin has allowed this to work (presumably for our migration to MS 365), it has caused some interesting side effects.
What has happened is that the contacts lists between the devices have merged, we can see each other's contacts and categories and if we delete any of them they just reappear after some time. The bigger issue is that any contact we have in common gets greyed out and has to be re-added, the other interesting issue is that it deletes my wife's contact from my list and my contact from her list, and will actually allow us to BBM ourselves sometimes by adding our own PIN to our list from the automatic restore.
On my device I have deactivated all e-mail accounts and removed the shared e-mail accounts, and even deleted the associated service books as some of the accounts didn't clear properly. On her device I tried to deactivate all the e-mail addresses but they stay in "Deactivating..." status and do not fully deactivate and so we have reached an impasse.

How can our contact lists be separated and stop this messy thing from happening again?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Messenger merging contact lists between 2 devices with shared registered e-mail accounts

you must change your setting to have one BBID for you and one for your wife.

as far as emails are concerned, it is better to have one email = 1 BIS account and 1 BIS Account forwarded to at most one device.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: