Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
htpdinsw
My Device: Curve 3G 9300

Blackberry OS 6 Download

Hello,

I'm new to blackberry and to this community forum, and hope if someone can help me out here.

I got an unlocked/unbranded Blackberry Curve 3G 9300, which comes with OS5

I want to upgrade it to OS6.

I downloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager, but is telling me there's no software update available.

I then learnt that this is due to being in a restricted region and neither App World, nor Software Updates are available.

I contacted my Service Provider, and they provided me with a link to OS6 directly designed for them. (Vodafone Egypt)

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=69CB3EA317A32C4E6143E665FDB20B14

If there's a OS6 available for download, then why do I need to download a branded one while I paid the full cost of the phone to get it unbranded/unlocked?

Is there a direct link for exactly the same version that is unbranded for my phone (a Generic Version)?

PS: Cannot obtain through Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry OS 6 Download

The most recent officially released OS for the 9300 model is 6.0.0.431

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below. Some users might worry they will void their device warranty by loading an OS from another carrier. There is really nothing to worry about. Please read more information on that here:
http://www.port3101.org/power-users/296-blackberry-os-upgrade-including-betas-myths-dispelled.html

There is no "unbranded" software. ALL BlackBerrys are branded to some vendor, whether it is stamped on the device face or backplate.

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=02A32AD2669E6FE298E607FE7CC0E1A0

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
htpdinsw
My Device: Curve 3G 9300

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the device I have is unbranded inside out. There is no stamp on the device face nor backplate.

Even when the phone loads up, usually the phone would be customized by the vendor interface/theme, etc. this one is totally generic.

The thing is I do not wish to brand my phone, since its totally unbranded. Also, not sure if that would lock my phone or not by downloading another OS that is originally branded.

I spoke to a techie, and stated that there is a possibility that the phone would be locked even though it doesn't belong to that provider -- to be honest, don't wanna risk it. This would mean that I cannot use multi SIM cards with it when travelling abroad, and means that I cannot get a NUC (Network Unlock Code) for it either as the phone IMEI doesn't belong to the provider and NUC Request would be rejected.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kasia
My Device: Not Specified

JSanders wrote:
ALL BlackBerrys are branded to some vendor, whether it is stamped on the device face or backplate.

Actually, that is not true.  Blackberry Partners have access to unbranded "generic" GSM devices.  For some reason though, they don't provide us with the ability to update or reload the device software.  Not exactly a perk if you ask me, especially since at my company we've been having problems with these generic devices, they act weird like there's something wrong with the OS. Contacts and messages are disappearing.

Please use plain text.
oluwatosin
My Device: at&t bold9000

Am new to this community.. I hope someone helps me out here.. I want to upgrade the OS of my Blackberry (Bold 1) to OS 6.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fadiayad
My Device: curve 9300

Actually I bought my Blackberry curve 9300 from a store that doesnt bolong to any operator. its not branded.. works for all operators and I updated to version 6.0.0.1879 I did update the software using this file 

9300jAsia_PBr6.0.0_rel1879_PL6.6.0.124_A6.0.0.448_StarHub_Ltd.exe

I downloaded from the blackberry website and it works fine on all networks in Egypt

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fadiayad
My Device: curve 9300

I downloaded from the blackberry website and it works fine on all networks in Egypt

Actually I bought my Blackberry curve 9300 from a store that doesnt bolong to any operator. its not branded.. works for all operators and I updated to version 6.0.0.1879 I did update the software using this file 

9300jAsia_PBr6.0.0_rel1879_PL6.6.0.124_A6.0.0.448_StarHub_Ltd.exe

if u need this file contact me its a 153 MB file

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brayniboy
My Device: Blackberry Curve 3G

Hello, I followed the instructions you provided up to using "Loader.exe" but it seems that the upgrade did not happen.

BB desktop manager still shows software version 5.0(bundle 1602) and when I go to Options>about it still shows ver 5.

I downloaded an OS6 file and after executing that and deleting "vendor.xml" and running "loader.exe", the loader runs and asks me to load apps and then i click OK and it says that the software was updated successfully, but it clearly isn't.

Can you provide more details on how to update the software manually? are there any additional steps that I should be doing first?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

brayniboy wrote:

Can you provide more details on how to update the software manually? are there any additional steps that I should be doing first?

Those are the only detailed steps you need.

What is your Operating System loaded to your device? Look at Options > > Device > About, third line down beginning with a "v.5.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brayniboy
My Device: Blackberry Curve 3G

it says "v.5.0.0.997" I followed your instructions on this thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S... but the button to delete all currently installed applications was greyed out. and then I proceeded to try to manually load the OS i was able to download. I wiped the OS on my phone with BBSK and tried to load the OS but I am getting the error: "the bb desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator." What should i do?
Please use plain text.