Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
Sarmentomk
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Re: Blackberry Protect function after SIM change

Hello, I'm new in this forum. I was wondering, does Blackberry / RIM have an option to enter a password every time we change SIM cards to make the device stuck to one SIM card.  I think if it does, it would go nicely together with Blackberry Protect.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sarmentomk wrote:

Hello, I'm new in this forum. I was wondering, does Blackberry / RIM have an option to enter a password every time we change SIM cards to make the device stuck to one SIM card.  I think if it does, it would go nicely together with Blackberry Protect.  Thanks

That feature can be carrier dependent.

However, look on your 9900 to Options > Device > Advanced > Sim Card > press the Menu key > Enable Security.

Do you see that option?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Sarmentomk
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telkomsel

JSanders wrote:
That feature can be carrier dependent.

However, look on your 9900 to Options > Device > Advanced > Sim Card > press the Menu key > Enable Security.

Do you see that option?

I have tried your suggestion but that is for enabling SIM card PIN only.
But now at least my SIM card is protected. Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MKHelper
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: EE

JSanders, you are not serious. What are you talking about?

"Yyou have a BlackBerry and you sell it to a friend or stranger and he puts his new SIM card in it... and you WANT to be able to still access, backup his data, block his device and see where he travels?

No. Someone would kick your **bleep** from the morning to the evening in the Sahara desert with a leather jacket and suit, naked feet. Not for being stupid, but for the invasion of privacy you're making on the other individual."

The other person was right in what he said, you just did not understand him, perhaps if you was in the situation he was discussing you would've understood him because I have been.

Number 1 - Ofcourse if he was going to sell it to a friend or stranger, he will disable his Blackberry Protect first or completely wipe all his data and take off the tracking, so he would not be invading any privacy.

Number 2 - What he was trying to say is what is the point of Blackberry Protect if it stops working after the Sim card is removed, as soon as a thief steals a blackberry they remove the sim card in less than 10 seconds, how do you have time to go on a computer to track it or backup or anything? And don't tell me Protect is only to recover your data, if it was then (as he stated) why does it say it is used if your phone is stolen, furthermore, why does it have such a pointless tracking feature?

Number 3 - How can Blackberry Protect (or alike apps) be better? If it was a hidden app and as soon as the sim card is removed or changed, the phone LOCKS perm until owner decides to unlock it through website/etc, and it e-mails the location as soon as it is changed. Also, you can continue tracking it when it is locked or send messages to be displayed on the phone. That will just be perfect. Lastly, please don't give me that scenario of you sell it to someone and you can be "invading privacy," obviously when you sell it to someone, you completely wipe off the blackberry first :smileyindifferent:.

Number 4 - I believe a blackberry device is a perfect dream phone for thiefs, I mean you can put a password for your blackberry but it is SO SIMPLE for thieves to just guess the password wrong 10 times and then the Blackberry wipes all the data, giving them a fresh new Blackberry. It would be much more convenient if after they guessed it wrong 10 times, it locks and the only way to unlock it is to take it to a carrier shop (like T-Mobile, etc) then T-Mobile can check if the phone is reported stolen, etc, or they can ask the thief for proof.

Please use plain text.
archilles
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: telkomsel

BB Protect pretty much useless if phone was stolen because normally thief always change the sim directly or switch off the phone.

I prefer using software that will send sms to my other number whenever the sim is changed so i will always know the latest number used in the phone

once the number is known it is quite easy to know the identity that use the phone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MKHelper
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: EE

Archilles what app do you use?
Please use plain text.
archilles
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: telkomsel

buddyguard pro
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

MKHelper wrote:

JSanders, you are not serious. What are you talking about?

I'm very serious.

So, Protect does not serve your needs. Don't use it.

Or, let BlackBerry know what other protections you would prefer.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
shyamhegde
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AirTel

Buddy, Gandalf87264 - yes.. Your are accurate in your assumption. Sadly though... Last five words from your post just describes what it is !
Please use plain text.