Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
II_ARROWS
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Blackberry Protect function after SIM change

[ Edited ]

I remembered it differently...

Shame on me, I told many people that even if they changed SIM it would work... :smileyembarrassed:

I think RIM MUST change the behavior...

For what I care, if I send the request RIM must send a message, special SMS if not BIS-connected, and not care what SIM there is: the thief may pay millions for the bill because it's in a foreign continet, I don't care. It MUST connect and at least tell me where it is and swipe.

Every **bleep** knows that the first thing to do is changing SIM, and usually if you lose something you don't know it right after, often you cannot get immediate access to a PC... Giving them time.

This way it's not protecting your data, obviously that it cannot protect you from thieves, I don't think anyone is fool enough to believe it. This is "BlackBerry Backup", or B3, since it doesn't guarantee protection.

P.S. If the thief doesn't change SIM, than I would kick his **bleep** from the morning to the evening in the Sahara desert with a leather jacket and suit, naked feet. Not for the theft but for being stupid.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,756
My Carrier: Verizon

II_ARROWS wrote:

I remembered it differently...

Shame on me, I told many people that even if they changed SIM it would work... :smileyembarrassed:

I think RIM MUST change the behavior...

For what I care, if I send the request RIM must send a message, special SMS if not BIS-connected, and not care what SIM there is: the thief may pay millions for the bill because it's in a foreign continet, I don't care. It MUST connect and at least tell me where it is and swipe.

Every **bleep** knows that the first thing to do is changing SIM, and usually if you lose something you don't know it right after, often you cannot get immediate access to a PC... Giving them time.

This way it's not protecting your data, obviously that it cannot protect you from thieves, I don't think anyone is fool enough to believe it. This is "BlackBerry Backup", or B3, since it doesn't guarantee protection.

P.S. If the thief doesn't change SIM, than I would kick his **bleep** from the morning to the evening in the Sahara desert with a leather jacket and suit, naked feet. Not for the theft but for being stupid.

Once the SIM is changed, communication to the device is stopped. There's a reason for that.

Dude, as brilliant as you obviously are, just think...just think what you're saying through.

Yyou have a BlackBerry and you sell it to a friend or stranger and he puts his new SIM card in it... and you WANT to be able to still access, backup his data, block his device and see where he travels?

No. Someone would kick your **bleep** from the morning to the evening in the Sahara desert with a leather jacket and suit, naked feet. Not for being stupid, but for the invasion of privacy you're making on the other individual.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
II_ARROWS

In that case, you remove the device from BlackBerry Protect...

Just like you reset the device, no data or Protect configuration available...

Please use plain text.
JSanders

lol, the new user has to depend on you to do that. Why would the new user trust you or I to not track them on the device. That would be such an invasion of privacy to give the seller continued access to the device.

The point is, Protect is NOT intended to be a "stolen" device save all method. It is primarily for lost devices, and retrieving data, blocking, etc., in a lost device situation.

RIM is not going to give you continued access to the device after the SIM card is removed or changed... don't believe it for a minute.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
II_ARROWS

[ Edited ]

Well, I understand your point but if it's not for stolen device, why is it described as a solution in case it is stolen?

Also, I'm not saying your rely on the seller. I said that you che reset the device. It's less than what you needed a couple of years ago, when you had to contact your carrier to unlock an used device.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

II_ARROWS wrote:

Well, I understand your point but if it's not for stolen device, why is it described as a solution in case it is stolen?

Because it can be used to block data and backup data on a stolen device UNTIL the SIM card is changed. Until the battery runs dead or the battery is removed... same difference, it won't work then.

It's the way it works.

II_ARROWS wrote:

I said that you che reset the device. It's less than what you needed a couple of years ago, when you had to contact your carrier to unlock an used device.

Right, but under your scenario, you still want to be able to connect to the device EVEN after the SIM card is changed. That's so unsecure, no one would allow it.

And, unlocking a device for use on another carrier has nothing to do with this.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
shyamhegde
My Carrier: AirTel

Today I lost my mobile.

Someone picked it. Switched it off.

So, my blackberry protect will never do any avction of locking and wiping data as the sim is likely going to be changed.

I doubt, it has intelligence to do anything on its own, just follows the phone number only. sad.

Just do not bank on this software. Incorrectly named after protect. Making fool of users?

It is just a backup software, appreciate that blackberry.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

shyamhegde wrote:

Today I lost my mobile.

Someone picked it. Switched it off.

So, my blackberry protect will never do any avction of locking and wiping data as the sim is likely going to be changed.

I doubt, it has intelligence to do anything on its own, just follows the phone number only. sad.

Just do not bank on this software. Incorrectly named after protect. Making fool of users?

It is just a backup software, appreciate that blackberry.

That's incorrect. It is quite use for a simple lost device.

Yes, removing the SIM card keeps Protect from working. Removing the engine from your Auto would keep it from working as well.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
II_ARROWS

[ Edited ]

Are you really comparing an engine with a SIM?

And it's not the same thing, not just because of the complexity, time needed and visibility of the operation.

Also, a car is registered at the specific public authority, with the owner name (that's why most of cars and motorbike stolen are found in pieces... the pieces they didn't need and could not sell).

A car is identified by the plate and car frame, the phone by IMEI which is not linked to the owner.

I could steal your phone without being noticed and change the SIM in less than 30 seconds, even if I've never seen you model before therefore having to check how it opens.

Could I steal your car without being noticed in less then 30 seconds?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yep.

Well, maybe not you but it's done everyday.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.