If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

dudeydanni
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: 447825636496

Blackberry data plan help

I bought a second hand blackberry curve 8520, and I have been wondering why I can't use BBM, I've been told I need a data plan but I have no idea how to get one, or whether I've already got one and there's another problem. Can anyone shed some light on how I can use my blackberry's features?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry data plan help

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

To use the proprietary BB services, you must have an adequate data plan from your carrier. The mobile service providers (carriers) host BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) for their BB users. Typically, BIS is not available via generic data plans. Many carriers call what is necessary The Blackberry Data Plan. Whatever they call it, it is the carrier who delivers BIS to their BB users -- contact them for assistance. 

That said, you may well have many further hurdles...starting with:

Oh, and also:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

There's also the fact that not all BB's work on all carrier networks. For instance, if your voice services are working from your carrier but you cannot get your data services to work, it could be due to your carrier not directly supporting your specific model BB. BB proprietary services require receipt, onto the BB, of Service Books that enable the services. Those SBs come from the carrier data network. But, most carriers only send SB's for the specific model number BBs that they directly support...and getting a BB to work when your specific model is not supported by your carrier can be very challenging indeed. 

All in all, I recommend you talk with your carrier folks about getting your BB to fully function on their network. Hopefully they have someone on staff who knows how to accomplish what you need (and there is no guarantee that your specific BB will ever fully function on their network).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sam28
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: airtel

Hi. If somebody can help me out to find service books for My carrier Airtel (INDIA) for storm 9530 and even help me to be able to send it to my phone and help me register HRT because as discussed earlier even if I see that registartion meassage has been sent . I do not get any reply for the same.

Please use plain text.
dudeydanni
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: 447825636496

Thanks for your help, what is a carrier and how do I contact them?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Sam28 wrote:

Hi. If somebody can help me out to find service books for My carrier Airtel (INDIA) for storm 9530 and even help me to be able to send it to my phone and help me register HRT because as discussed earlier even if I see that registartion meassage has been sent . I do not get any reply for the same.

Sam -- you got lots of help in your thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Storm/Need-Help-URGENT/m-p/1750267#M65458

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

dudeydanni wrote:
Thanks for your help, what is a carrier and how do I contact them?

Carrier = Mobile Service Provider = Phone Company

You can see the list of all carriers that support BBs here:

Contacting them is a matter of finding out who the carriers are that are local to you, and then shopping their websites and/or local shops for their service offerings.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sam28
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: airtel

Yeah. GURU@
Though all steps are in vein. as I reached a concusion that it must be the service book , the steps suggested have already been performed though.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Sam28 wrote:

Yeah. GURU@
Though all steps are in vein. as I reached a concusion that it must be the service book , the steps suggested have already been performed though.

Sam -- Please work over in your own thread; if you have follow up questions, please put them over there (not here in this thread). Please let our friend dudeydanni have this thread for their separate issues.

Thanks.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.