Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Visitor
roxan32
My Device: Curve 9360

Blackberry update won't stop

Blackberry asked me to download a Blackberry update, which I did.

Now after a whole night, the update is still only 21% completed. It seems like the update crashed.

I already removed the battery several times, but when it restarts, the update starts immediately and keeps hanging at 0%!! Also after more or less 10 minutes of hanging at 0%, the blackberry restarts itself... and then starts the update again.

What can I do to cancel this update?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry update won't stop

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Posted in this section ("Downloaded applications..."), it is perhaps confusing what your actual issue is. In this section, it would normally be considered to have to do with an actual app. But, from what you've said, it sounds like it has to do with the OS itself of your BB, and the on-device wireless update process. As such, there are two methods of recovery for you to try:

(Credit JSanders)

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code