Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
szczepro
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry users with updated software?

Hey,

I work for a company that uses email to market to our customer base.  We are looking into sending multi-part messages, including rich-text messages that will render adequetly on most blackberries.  We've been testing on devices around the office, and while most emails, even some in full HTML, are rendering correctly in Blackberries with updated software, other do not display any links or formatting if the software is out of date. 

Does anyone have rough estimates as to how many blackberry users have recent software installed on their devices vs the number who operate with dated software versions?

Thanks for any help,

~Bob in NYC

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry users with updated software?

You're basically looking at the number of devices running OS 4.5 and greater (HTML email)

and those running less than OS 4.5, with no HTML email.

I don't know the numbers, but I can assure you the former is increasing daily. :smileyhappy:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
szczepro
My Device: Not Specified

any idea where i might be able to find those numbers, or atleast rough estimates?
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I doubt very seriously those numbers are published anywhere, much less really even known.

For instance, when I upgrade, say an 8700 model blackberry from OS 4.2 to OS 4.5, my carrier doesn't even have to know I have done that, much less RIM knowing for the entire 17 million some odd devices in use.

Suffice it to say, those devices of less than OS 4.5 which displays text-based email only, only need text based email.

I believe a developer who knows what they are doing can develop what you need so that an HTML email has the proper text underlying for those devices that require text only.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code