Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Super Contributor
craigashy
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Orange/EE. UK

Bold 9790 OS 7.1

Is there some reason why OS 7.1 is not available for Bold 9790 yet? Its been released a while now on all other BB 7 device, so whats the hold up?

Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
If this post helps you please click the LIKE below the post(s)
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9790 OS 7.1

[ Edited ]

Hello,

If (and there's no way to know 100%) RIM has released it to the carriers, then it is up to the carriers to decide if they will release it to their end users. The carriers control the final process since they provide all front-line support to their end users...if a carrier does not wish to support a particular OS level, that is their prerogative.

Given that (as far as I can find) only one carrier in North America sells that model, it falls to them to release the OS for NA (if, again, they even have it from RIM). As for other carriers, you are free to search the official download portal to find out if any others may perhaps have released it:

I, for instance, am on an ATT BB...but I am running a TeleNor OS since ATT has not yet released 7.1 for my model.

Our friend Xandrex attempts to keep this thread up to date, but has been unable to as of late...but it might perhaps help you narrow down your search in the Download Portal:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
craigashy

I'm from the UK, thanks for your reply, I was hoping someone from RIM would answer and by the way Bold 9790 is all over Europe
Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

craigashy wrote:
I'm from the UK, thanks for your reply, I was hoping someone from RIM would answer and by the way Bold 9790 is all over Europe

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You'll very rarely (if ever) see RIM employees posting anywhere anything about 'future-looking' releases or such.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
craigashy

I know what this Page is. But it must be monitored by Blackberry. Don't know why I bother, its like banging my head off a wall,(not that I've done that). Would be easier if there was a customer service hot line. I give up.
Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, yes...requesting something from this forum that is not part of it's purpose...I guess that would feel like banging ones against a wall indeed.

What you need to realize is that, to my experience, no one -- not RIM, not the carriers -- ever release any forward looking information, especially about OS packages. There just are too many variables.

Sorry we could not give you what you wanted...but I hope you appreciate that we at least are telling you the truth here.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
muffi_devil
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Loop mobile

Hi I have bold 9790 but I am not bound to any carrier as such I got my phone from south Africa and nw using it in India Blackberry India has already released os 7.1 for bold 9790 but I am unable to update please help how do I know what my carrier is I bought it from a blackberry show room it's a gsm phone not Vodafone or mtn Please help
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

muffi_devil wrote:
Hi I have bold 9790 but I am not bound to any carrier as such I got my phone from south Africa and nw using it in India Blackberry India has already released os 7.1 for bold 9790 but I am unable to update please help how do I know what my carrier is I bought it from a blackberry show room it's a gsm phone not Vodafone or mtn Please help

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, it is not relevant...you can use any OS pacakge from any carrier, as long as it's for your exact model number.

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
sabi229
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: CSL

Hi,

I download the software and Version 7.1 Bundle 1647 did appears in my Blackberry Device Software. When I click 'install', a error message pop up:

"This BlackBerry® Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry® solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry® service, please visit www.blackberry.com/service."

You know what, when I try to visit the web, it said 'The page you have requested has been moved or no longer exists.'

So, anyone has same experience?

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

sabi229 wrote:

"This BlackBerry® Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry® solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry® service, please visit www.blackberry.com/service."

Oh! Yes, it is a prerequisite for many OS levels (7.1 included) that you be subscribed to an adequate data plan from your mobile service provider...that message would indicate that you are not, and your remedy is to subscribe to an adequate data plan from your mobile service provider. After that is running properly, then the update should be allowed.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.