Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

VPB
New Contributor
VPB
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: TMN
Accepted Solution

Can I update my os from 7 to 7.1 on a free sim bold?

[ Edited ]

Hello.

can you help?

Have a sim free  bold9790 and I want to update my os to 7.1 but the carrier I use does not sell the model, and therefor does not have the os on there list of official updates. Can I download a sw from another carrier (say Vodafone Portugal)  and use my TMN sim on my bold? 

By the way, I know I can update any os for the specific model by deleting the vendor.xls file, but that' s not what I want to do.

thanks in advance,

best regards ,

a loyal bb fan for ever,

vpb

Vasco
––––––––

Loyal bb addict. Curve 8900, 9320, 9360. Bold 9000,9700, 9790 (2x).

@Portugal - UE.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Can I update my os from 7 to 7.1 on a free sim bold?

Hi VPN

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

If your Carrier is not selling or not offering the Device Software for your Device model then you can try any other Carrier OS pack no problem in it .

Why you don't want to delete those Vendor files is there any reason ? 

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You can download an OS from any carrier for the specific model of phone you use.  Downloading an OS for another model to your phone (despite the carrier it comes from) is not possible.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

And, you'll need to delete the vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

There is absolutely nothing in the vendor.xml file that gets loaded to the phone. It only tells the computer which OS to allow to be loaded for which carriers, etc. It in no way changes how the OS is loaded, only whether it is loaded or not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
VPB
New Contributor
VPB

Thank you all for the answers. There's only a reason for me not to delete the vendor file, it is just a matter of  trying to install as much of the Oficial release as possible. I've done it before (with my bold 9700 to os 6 ). I' a true believer of "oem" for professional reasons and try not to mess with anything that's on the original package. if there's a need to delete the vendor file I'll delete it for sure. 

By the way, I 've never done it in a Mac, do you guys know any reasons to be careful about it? (running MAC OSX ML). In pc's i just go to there and delete it. Tomorrow ill try it in my mac.

thks.

Vasco
––––––––

@Portugal - UE.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

You MUST delete the vendor.xml in order to load another carrier's OS. I don't think you can use a Mac to do that.

Also, did you read my post above? There is NOTHING in the vendor.xml that gets loaded to the device. The vendor.xml only tells the computer whether or not to load the OS at all to a different carrier's device. Trust me, I know. I have done this for many years.

The vendor code (different from vendor.xml), hard coded to the device, tells the loader how and what .cod files to load on the device, not the vendor.xml file on the PC. With another carrier's OS you will get the exact same files that brand of device is supposed to get. It will still be 100% OEM.

RIM builds the OS's and then sends them to carriers for testing. Each carrier can decide whether they accept that OS or not and whether they need RIM to change something and build another OS. The OS is built for the device model, not specifically for a carrier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Has anyone mentioned yet that you must delete the vendor.xml file?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
VPB
New Contributor
VPB

Hi,

Yes. I know i have to delete it (using a win pc, not my mac). Thanks.

I´ll do exactly that. Thank you all. 

Vasco
––––––––

@Portugal - UE.
Please use plain text.