Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
haharwayne
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: verizon
Accepted Solution

Can't get bb curve to connect to computer, w/ new USB, downloaded desktop manager................anything I'm missing? Help! Thanks, Holly

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't get bb curve to connect to computer, w/ new USB, downloaded desktop manager................anything I'm missing? Help! Thanks, Holly

Hello,

Sorry, but we can't possibly tell if your are missing anything from that all too brief description. Please give us more details..things like your PC specs, your PC OS version (including patch levels), the exact version of the Desktop Manager you are using, and finally the exact steps you attempt and the exact results of each step, including the complete and exact text of any error messages presented. Remember, we can't see what you see, so we need details to keep us from having to guess (and guessing really helps no one).

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
haharwayne

Re: Can't get bb curve to connect to computer, w/ new USB, downloaded desktop manager................anything I'm missing? Help! Thanks, Holly

Help, this is not ok! I need help, I can't answer these questions. Thanks, holly. J
Please use plain text.
Contributor
haharwayne

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If you can't answer the questions, then you leave us to pretty much guess at what could be wrong. Are you sure you don't know what PC OS you are running?

Given what you are willing to do, there's not much that can be done here. You see, this is free to you, and voluntary by me (and the others who participate here). I get nothing helping you out here. This is not any part of your formal support. As such, there's nothing we can do beyond use the information you provide in order to guide us to what might be going on. But, so far, we have nothing from you at all.

But, let me continue to try again...can you tell me the steps you attempt? And the results of each step? After all, you say you "can't get bb curve to connect to computer"...so, you must have tried something. What did you try? What happened with each step along the way of what you tried?

If you can't participate in providing information, free support such as this will be pretty useless to you...fee-based support would be your next step, I'd think. If someone get's paid to help you, they might have tools available that the volunteers here don't have.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
haharwayne

Thanks, sorry to be snarky before. My frustrations got the better of me. Spent 1.5hr today w/ verizon and another 2 w/ the Geek Squad @ Best Buy. I now have the bb w/ memory card, which seems to have opened up communication w/ the laptop. And have transferred file from computer to phone which I just purchased. Problem now is I can't open file on bb. Geek guy tried several different apps but had no success. Baby steps, but steps, thank you, Holly (tell me where to look for that OS info, if I still need it!)
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

So, I'm guessing you are working fine now? It's difficult to be sure...you seem to have gotten the original problem fixed (that of getting the BB and your PC to communicate). Now you say the BB can't open a file..if you want help with that, you'd naturally have to reveal what type of file it is and, again, exactly what was already attempted.

As for the OS...I was talking about your computer OS...Windows? Mac? Unix? And then the details about that...e.g., Windows XP SP3? Windows 7 SP1? Etc. It's difficult to tell you where to look for that as it's completely different for each one, and I've still no idea which one your's is...but, again, that's not important here now unless you desire to continue with something that requires that information (which, you newest apparent problem does not).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
haharwayne

Hello, thanks for your continued support. I am no farther ahead in getting the file open on the bb. The OS is Windows 7 on the computer. The Geek Squad guy thought maybe this phone was not compatible with the file/download.  No problem reveraling the nature of the file, it's called cell-control and started out as a zip drive, then eventually the Geek Squad gentlemen got it to the phone, but, I believe the error message said that the file was too large to open. He then tried every app, he could think of to get it to open, to no avail. What else do you need to know about the file? I will be happy to provide whatever info we need.

Holly

Please use plain text.
Contributor
haharwayne

I didn't see this as an option! Cheers!
Holly
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, I've no idea what "cell-control" is...can you perhaps provide the full and complete filename, including the file extension (e.g., "cell-control.exe" or something like that)? As described, I've no idea what that file could possibly be, and as such have no idea if even opening it on the BB itself is an appropriate thing to even be attempting.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.