Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Visitor
My Device: Curve 9360

Cannot connect new mail

Hi there,

Here is what happened today, i had to add 2 phones to the BES, one of them worked fine within 5 mins it was on, the other one (my boss's phone) oh well lets say it took me around 3 hours to do it (ITS A LAW, had him nagging all the time). So how it went, I did a backup of my boss's phone(as he wanted to use it instead of brand new one) wiped the data, tried with the enterprise activation, the phone wasn't happy, got it back to the initial configuration, added it to the server, it took good 1 hour to synchronize and it went all good, until 10 minutes before the working day ends... he comes out of his office shouting how he cannot connect to the other mail that he had. Of course first thing that comes to my mind is that he had another configuration through another company and start to think all the possible complicated ways to hook him up to the other company (he runs two companies), anyways it turned out to be that there is just an additional e-mail. Easy job, I go to the settings, and it prompts him for his blackberry ID, and because it is a law... he didn't remember his credentials and at the same time he was nagging that he has maximum 10 minutes more. Anyways sorted that one out, went to "add other e-mail" as it wasn't neither gmail nor yahoo or any other of the options. Asked him politely to add his e-mail and password. When he tries to connect, it says cannot reach the server, or cannot connect to the server, something like that, afterwards when we tried again it was saying wrong acc name/password (of course he was sure he typed them correctly, so i persuaded him to type them again) and then we got the same error that he cannot connect to the server. Anyways the 10 mins passed and he had to go, unhappy. Now , while i was still at the office adding and removing emails on my phone happily without any problems I came up with the solution that his 3G receiver is f*cked up, and when it tries to connect to the server it just loses signal, and that seems the only reason why i wouldnt be able to add his other e-mail, so therefore Monday when he comes I will connect him through the internal network and then try that again. Now, my question is, presume that doesn't work, what will happen if I restore his phone from the initial back up that i created before i hook him up to the BES, will it change the settings in terms of ... will it create that other e-mail and will it keep the same configuration for the BES account ?

Thankz

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Cannot connect new mail

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

Actually, what you need to do is the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

That should get his prior BIS-level email accounts placed back onto his BB...unless the BIS configuration was somehow deleted (from what you described, that should not have happened though). You may want to also restore from that backup, but don't do a wholesale restore...just a selective one of the databases that are necessary (and NONE that are handled by BES):

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

If you do a wholesale restore, it will overwrite the databases that have to do with the BES configuration, which will indeed mess that up. You also will be unable to restore the Messages database at all since BES is now active...the restore will replace the entire Messages database with what was there before, which will kill any BES messages already populated to his BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code