Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
Sn34k3r
My Device: Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Carrier IQ on Blackberry Phones from T-Mobile

T-Mobile does install Carrier IQ on the phone regardless of the fact that it may violate Blackberry Policy.  In my exchange with T-Mobile, it got the following response when I asked about it.

Hello Jens,

I want to make sure that I answer your questions as fully as possible.

You asked:

1.  If I have not given Carrier IQ permission to communicate, is it then blocked?  How do I prove that?

Answer: Carrier IQ does not need permission to gather the previously mentioned information.

2.  If it is attached to a BES, can CarrierIQ then be removed?

Answer: For BES permission/modification information, I do need to refer you to your IT group as BES permissions are controlled through the server.

3.  Blacberry stated that CarrierIQ is not a part of the OS and as such can be easily removed by T-Mobile. How do I start that process?

Answer: Unfortunately, that information is inaccurate. If the application was DOWNLOADED, we would be able to assist with an uninstall of the app, but with a built-in node of the OS itself, we cannot modify or remove it.

4.  If the OS has been modified by T-Mobile, how do I get a clean install?  Do I have to unlock the phone to do that?

Answer: T-Mobile has not modified the software. This device is running the T-Mobile and Blackberry approved OS. If you are considering a non-T-Mobile version of software, T-Mobile does not support a change to a non-T-Mobile software version and would be unable to assist with the process.

I hope this helps to clarify how Carrier IQ is embedded in the software, I understand your desire to remove it so that the emails can be linked to your phone, but there is no way T-Mobile can remove it.

Thanks,

Jennifer

This seems to imply that BlackBerry has appended the Carrier IQ to the OS in the Bold 9900 and they are stating that it is not able to be removed. 

The only way to fix this is to start complaining on their forum, and to their Client Relations.

Does anyoneknow of a way to get a clean install of OS 7 for the lackBerry 9900 (one that is unadulterated by T-Mobile?)

Thanks

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Carrier IQ on Blackberry Phones from T-Mobile

Sn34k3r wrote:

Does anyoneknow of a way to get a clean install of OS 7 for the lackBerry 9900 (one that is unadulterated by T-Mobile?)

CarrierIQ is NOT a part of the operating system. Carrier IQ is hidden under "My Account" app and only activated when app is run and permissions are allowed. Once you INSTALL the MyAccount app, and YOU agree affirmatively to the terms and conditions of the app to install, you've given permission for CarrierIQto collect the information.

So, don't do that. :smileywink:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Sn34k3r

If I then reload my OS, do I get a second chance at that?

JSanders

You will need to use BBSAK or JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F
For BBSAK, here is the link: http://bbsak.org/

See the link below for the download, and follow these simple installation instructions.

First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Note: Some users might worry they will void their device warranty by loading an OS from another carrier. There is really nothing to worry about. Please read more information on that here: http://www.port3101.org/power-users/296-blackberry-os-upgrade-including-betas-myths-dispelled.html

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
JSanders

Oh, and then do NOT install the Tmobile My Account app.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Sn34k3r

Re: 9900 : the official OS releases

Great post.  Thanks!

Now: 

1. Is there a version of the OS that is carrier independent?

2. How do I load it onto my phone to avoid all the carrier's "extra" stuff  (like Carrier IQ that T-Mobile adds to their version). 

JSanders

Re: 9900 : the official OS releases

Sn34k3r wrote:

Great post.  Thanks!

Now: 

1. Is there a version of the OS that is carrier independent?

2. How do I load it onto my phone to avoid all the carrier's "extra" stuff  (like Carrier IQ that T-Mobile adds to their version). 

1. No. Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below. All you have to do is delete the vendor.xml file before installing the OS to the handheld and that makes the OS release "carrier independent".

2. That's already been answered in your other thread. There's really no reason to create yet another thread on the same issue. But... you cannot delete the "carrier pushed" stuff like the virtual pre-loads we've discussed. CarrierIQ, it appears you have already another thread running on that issue, now three threads. It's hard to bounce back and forth between the three when they all three boil down to the same subject.

Now, some of the actual OS-installed apps, like a few games (Word Mole) are part of he OS, are not part of the 'carrier OS'.

I think what you need is a better understanding of what is part of the operating system install, and what is not.

Thinks like the Tmobile Mall are pushed by the carrier AFTER the OS install and when you activate ON their network.

CarrierIQ is different, and since you've asked that in a DIFFERENT thread, I'll bounce over there for the answer. :smileywink:

Knowledge Base Updates