Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

faibs
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Delay with Receiving GMail.

This is getting out of hand lately.

I have the same issues with Gmail and Hotmail. Only present after BIS 3.2 went live.  We shouldn't need to contact our carriers to escalate this to RIM.

I have not fwd all email address to my @rogers.blackberry.net account and will strongly consider android or windows mobile 7 as a temporary replacement.

Please keep us posted and aware of the issues.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

faibs wrote:

We shouldn't need to contact our carriers to escalate this to RIM.

Except for one tiny point -- as per your support contract, that is the sole method to receive formal support and escalation to RIM... Further, the "squeaky wheel" concept will apply...but will be magnified if more and more people actually do report it via the formal channel and have is escalated.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
warrenkb
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

I too am experience intermittent gmail delays with a wide range of delay times. I have spoke to my carrier on 3 occasions and was not once given the opportunity to speak to rim directly.

This issue seems to be widespread and not carrier specific which to most would indicate that it is an underlying RIM issue.

I understand that the aim of the game here is essentially expectation management, however, it would be nice if some tangible progress or hope at the very least could be demonstrated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

warrenkb wrote:

I have spoke to my carrier on 3 occasions and was not once given the opportunity to speak to rim directly.

Did you ask? When you talk to level 1 support at a carrier, you know that you are almost solely dependent on that individual's knowledge, experience, and training...and those things can vary widely. So asking for escalation is important.

Further, some carriers have multiple levels within their own support structure...so you must escalate through those levels before you get to RIM..

Further still -- you may or may not be offered the opportunity to speak to RIM directly. Sometimes the carrier will insist on fronting the entire transaction, other times they will allow you to speak to someone at RIM. Everything about how it will go is governed by the terms of your support contract with your carrier.

warrenkb wrote:

This issue seems to be widespread and not carrier specific which to most would indicate that it is an underlying RIM issue.

I certainly cannot disagree with that assumption.

warrenkb wrote:

I understand that the aim of the game here is essentially expectation management, however, it would be nice if some tangible progress or hope at the very least could be demonstrated.

Really? Expectation management? Sure, that's one of the goals here...but not purely that. Our primary goal here is to get people going in the right direction to get solutions to their issues. If we happen to know the specific answer, we are quick to provide it. But there's no way for us to always have that.

Hmmm...from your tone in that last part I quoted, I have a suspicion. Are you perhaps thinking that these forums are channel by which to have communication to/from RIM? Because they decidedly are not; these are volunteer-contributed user-to-user forums. Sometimes RIM folks answer here, but that can never be expected. RIM has stated that they have a goal to read each and every post made here...but somehow, given the volume, I highly doubt that they truly are able to attain that goal.

Lastly, as you are seeking tangible progress or hope, then please continue as advised -- escalate through your carrier. That is the best way to ensure that the issue receives adequate attention from RIM.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iceage9
My Device: 8320
My Carrier: rogers

google apps /gmail + 8320 device

experiencing delays in receiving emails and sent items on the desktop(outlook 2007) not show up or delayed on the device

it has been a week. battery pull, service book both tried, sometimes it works, most of time not.

sometimes, receiving an email will bring the sent items to the device at the same time.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jimo
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Telcel

For problems like these, and poor care support (at least in mexico), companies lose customers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tz123abc
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Here's my history of support calls about this problem...

I called VZW last week and they forwarded me onto RIM support (which I later found out was Tier 1 support at RIM).

That first call to RIM resulted in some test messages being sent to my gmail account.  They arrived promptly and the RIM rep dismissed the case as being caused by network congestion or poor wireless signal.

The second call to RIM resulted in some additional checking of my BIS account and deleted and resent service books.  Some test messages were sent.  They arrived promptly and the RIM rep dismissed the case as solved, but said to call back if the problem occurred again.

The third call to RIM resulted in more additional checking of my BIS account and deletion and re-integration of my gmail account into BIS.  Test messages again arrived promptly.  Upon my asking, the RIM rep said the case would remain open for 4 days.

When I called RIM today for the fourth time, I immediately told the rep about the ongoing problem for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and said the case needed to be escalated to higher levels of support.  After being on hold for a period of time, I was connected to Tier 2 support.  Tier 2 support sent some test messages, some of which arrived promptly and some were delayed.  The rep collected some data from me regarding refid numbers of the messages on my device and used those to investigate the messages on RIM's servers.

I was on this fourth call for 1 1/2 hours.  Most of this time was on hold while the Tier 2 support team looked at message data on RIM's servers.  They determined that the delayed messages were caused by delayed notifications from Google.  Google is sending prompt notifications at times and delayed notifications at other times.  They determined the delayed messages I was receiving were arriving on my device instantaneously when the notify from Google was received by BIS.

*** So the bottom line is that Google is intermittently sending delayed notifications to RIM.  RIM will be contacting Google about my case and are supposed to get in touch with me with some news later.

Now for my advise...

RIM and in turn Google needs to hear from everyone who is having this problem.  The more open cases RIM has about this, the more they are going to contact Google. 

*** Everyone who is having this Gmail delay issue needs to contact their carrier, ask to have the issue escalated to RIM.  When you reach RIM Tier 1 support, ask to be transferred to Tier 2 support.  You'll probably have to follow through with the standard Tier 1 support protocol, but after doing that insist that your case be escalated to Tier 2 support.

Some information I obtained from Tier 2 support...  Contrary to what Tier 1 support says, as we all know, Gmail (and email from the other major emai providers, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) should be arriving instantaneously to your device.  Also contrary to what Tier 1 support says, RIM does have a contract with Google for email notifications.

Another tip... When talking to RIM support, they consider a signal strength of > -90 dbm to be a satisfactory signal.  Several times while talking to Tier 1 support my signal strength would dip to -92 or -94 and they wanted to blame the decreased signal strength as the cause of the problem.  Obviously, we all know that is not the case.

Good luck and I hope this issue gets resolved quickly.

tz123abc

Please use plain text.
chefmorry
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TMO USA

Same problem here.  I'm on TMO-USA, and have been having the intermitant gmail problem for about 2 weeks.

Looks like I'll give TMO a call, and hopefully they'll transfer me to RIM.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
copperbeech
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: BM

I do appreciate your detailed reply TZ. I too am experiencing very spotty delivery of gmail to my BB Torch. It is frustrating.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iceage9
My Device: 8320
My Carrier: rogers

yesterday, it was delayed like 2 hours. 

Please use plain text.