Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Visitor
SESarchitect
My Device: Blackberry 9800
My Carrier: 7048462309

Desktop Software stops working after a week or two and must be reloaded or reinstalled

Have Windows 7 Ultimate and latest version of Desktop Software.  Just upgraded to latest version and it still won't work.  I am about ready to switch to another brand of smart phone.  Have had this problem for over a year and when my ATT contract will allow I will probably buy a (don't want it) iPhone.   My phone is not recognized by the software except soon after a new Desktop install.  Sync with my Office Outlook address book and calendar is very important to me.  Otherwise any phone is OK.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Desktop Software stops working after a week or two and must be reloaded or reinstalled

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove any/all device OS update package(s) from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • Some have reported the manual search and removal of RIM, BB, and Puma registry keys to be helpful...do not attempt this if you are at all unsure as editing your registry wrongly can render your entire PC useless.
  • Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful
  • Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB03315 How to synchronize organizer data (calendar, task list, memo list, and contact list) using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.