Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Device Manager and Desktop Manager

I am confused. Is there a BlackBerry Device Manager and BlackBerry Desktop Manager? I have always used the BB Desktop Manager when I cant get a client device to properly sync by wireless activation. So what's the difference and where do i Get the Device Manager?
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Device Manager and Desktop Manager

MerryBerry wrote:
I am confused. Is there a BlackBerry Device Manager and BlackBerry Desktop Manager? I have always used the BB Desktop Manager when I cant get a client device to properly sync by wireless activation. So what's the difference and where do i Get the Device Manager?

BlackBerry Device Manager and BlackBerry Desktop Manager are different products ... but if you install BlackBerry Desktop Manager you also get BlackBerry Device Manager as it is required for BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

That said, on my PC I only have BlackBerry Device Manager, which allows me to do the following:

1) Charge my BlackBerry via USB

2) Use Application Loader to install / change software on my device

3) Tether my BlackBerry and connect my laptop to the Internet  via that connection

BlackBerry Device Manager doesn't allow me to sync / backup data; that is where BlackBerry Desktop Manager comes in.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

The reason I asked is because I was setting up BB device simulator so I can use this in testing newly installed BPS and BES for clients without using my own device for testing. The instructions required using both Device Manager and Desktop Manager. Is there a required sequence of installing the two softwares? And where do i get the Device Manager? When I searched the downloads section I only found "Desktop Software" and "Desktop Manager", quite confusing. 
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

There is no separate installation for BlackBerry Device Manager.  When you run the Desktop Manager installation you'll see the option to just install Device Manger if desired.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

you have a package Desktop Software that includes :
  • Device Manager (for tethering for instance)
  • Desktop Manager pack

the Desktop Manager pack contains :
  • BlackBerry Desktop Manager only
  • Roxio Media Player (optional)
  • BlackBerry Media Sync (optional)

the BlackBerry Desktop Manager contains :
  • a module for configuring BES or BIS (but not both)
  • a module to synchronize some databases with a desktop PIM like Microsoft Outlook or IBM Lotus Notes (contacts, tasks, calendar)
  • a back-up / restore module
  • an Application Loader module (that acts both as an OS installer, and an application/theme installer)

on top of all that you have the BlackBerry USB drivers for BlackBerry devices.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Silly me. It seems that I have always been installing the the Device Manager with the Desktop Manager but it's just that I never had a use for it so I never noticed I always had it. I was trying to make the simulator workl and I needed both applications running to get it to work. Thanks for all your help. 
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I also am confused as I have just updated my PC software for Blackberry and now I get two different Sync options.

When I plug my Bold 9700 into my computer (WIN XP) I get the older Device Manager sync screen that does sync my BB to my outlook but the date on the Blackberyy Desktop Software does not reflect the sync or the back-up date correctly. If I choose the Sync button on the Desktop Software it then does another sync with my BB and then shows the correct date of the sync. This may sound obsesive but do I need both and if I do then why don't they comunicate together?

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have DM5 on my laptop because I need the redirector.

If I install the Device Manager for my Playbook, will it upgrade my DM5 to DM6?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

@husseinshah:
I think it will not. But even if it did, you can overwrite DM5 on DM6 (that's for sure on Windows ; I don't know about MacOS).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

@Xandrex

Thank you my friend...