Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
SpencerWaugh
My Device: Not Specified

Diagnostic Test - Unable to Connect to "Blackberry" or "PIN Email" in Germany

Hello, I have moved to Germany from Canada and I have unlocked my 8310 Curve to use over here

I signed up with Vodafone and have unlimited data - however my blackberry is not connecting to "Blackberry" or PIN email

Here are the results of the Diagnostic Test: 

Starting Time Stamp: September 28, 2009 3:58 PM
Ending Time Stamp: September 28, 2009 3:58 PM
PIN: 206a1348
MSISDN: 0 174 678 1571
Device Type: BlackBerry 8310
Application Version: v4.5.0.81
Platform Version: 2.7.0.78
Service Books: MMS,WAP,WAPPushConfig,WPTCP,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig
Free File Space: 15581394 bytes
Radio Data Activation: Yes
Signal Level: -74 dBm
Radio Access: GPRS
Network: Vodafone.de
IP Address: 10.212.98.59
ICMP Ping Echo: Yes
BlackBerry Registration: Yes
Connected to BlackBerry: No
BlackBerry PIN Email: No

Thanks! 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Diagnostic Test - Unable to Connect to "Blackberry" or "PIN Email" in German

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

When you say you signed up for unlimited data from Vodafone -- was that a generic data plan? If so, then that is likely the reason.  Most generic data plans do not provide access to BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). Rather, plans that are often called The Blackberry Data Plan are what is required. Contact Vodafone and ask what plan you need from them in order to use their BIS services.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
SpencerWaugh

Re: Diagnostic Test - Unable to Connect to "Blackberry" or "PIN Email" in German

I just spoke with a Vodafone representative, and they said that because it is a Canadian blackberry, data services such as BBM or the Facebook app will not work in germany - Is there any way around this?
New Contributor
CPap

Hi SpencerWaugh,

I used to have a Rogers-issued 8310 and I had no problems switching it to TIM in Italy - so what the Vodafone rep told you is totally incorrect. However, there are a few things that you need to do before it will work properly (in my experience):

1. If your 8310 was on BES in Canada, you must speak to your IT administrator (this would be somebody at your company) to have your device removed from BES. If you just had regular BIS service through Rogers or Fido, then you're fine.

2. You must call Rogers or Fido and (a) ask to speak with a BlackBerry technical support agent, and (b) ask the tech support agent to remove your BlackBerry PIN from their system. What happens is your device's PIN gets locked to your carrier. Even if you get your phone unlocked, the phone's PIN remains associated with your carrier. In order to switch BlackBerry service providers, you must get your old carrier to remove your PIN from their system. You really need a BlackBerry tech support agent to do this - the customer service rep who answers the phone will not have any idea what you are talking about. You can find the PIN for your device by looking under the battery or by going into Options-->Status.

3. Once your PIN has been removed from the Rogers/Fido network, do NOT put the Rogers/Fido SIM back into your phone, as this will just re-register your Blackberry on their network. At this point you should be able to pop in the Vodafone SIM, go into Options-->Advanced-->Host Routing Tables, click "Register Now" and you should get data access.

Let me know what happens... I feel your pain as I have moved continents a few times with my blackberry and every time there seems to be a glitch.

New Contributor
CPap

sdgardne --> I'm pretty sure he has a BlackBerry data plan with Vodafone, as his diagnostic test shows "GPRS" in capital letters. If it were a generic data plan without BIS, it should just read "gprs".
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

CPap wrote:
sdgardne --> I'm pretty sure he has a BlackBerry data plan with Vodafone, as his diagnostic test shows "GPRS" in capital letters. If it were a generic data plan without BIS, it should just read "gprs".

I tend to disagree...GPRS vs gprs is a carrier-level connectivity indicator...a data plan or not, for instance...but not an indicator of what level the data plan is (Blackberry or not). The more telling stats in the test I think are:

Connected to BlackBerry: No
BlackBerry PIN Email: No

That would indicate, I think that the connectivity to the BIS infrastructure is not in place...even though a data network is being used (hence GPRS). But I could be wrong...

Regardless, you instructions to the OP are supherb. Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
SpencerWaugh

CPap, thankyou! solved my problem! data is working!
New Contributor
mfulerio
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

Re: Diagnostic Test - Unable to Connect to "Blackberry" or "PIN Email" in Germany

Did it work? i have the same problem. i am from domincan republic and i have an att bold 9700 but it was working and all of the sudden did that :smileyfrustrated: can anybody help me? i took my phone to my carrier and they couldnt do anything 

Contributor
lgfreak
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810

[ Edited ]

Please tell me step by step how you did it,

I received a phone as present and have same problems (BIS activated, Signal 3G in capitals an alternating with H, Berry Symbol is on  but no internet conectivity)

My carier is ORANGE an i canot find what carrier was used before...

BlackBerry Registration:     Yes
Connected to BlackBerry:   No
BlackBerry PIN-PIN:             Abort

Contributor
lgfreak
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810

[ Edited ]

no one?