Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
andrewmrichards
My Device: Not Specified

Duplicate emails received - can anyone resolve PLEASE!

Hi

I am in the UK. I have a new BlackBerry Curve 8900, supplied by BT. 

I have an Exchange mailbox, hosted by Fasthosts. They do not support the configuration of BlackBerry devices directly, but say that they should be able to be configured successfully via the BT BlackBerry pages at www.bt.blackberry.com

I've set up the connection between my email address and my blackberry successfully, to the extent that I can now send and receive emails on my BlackBerry. However, I've got a problem which appears to be quite common from the reading that I've been doing.

Every time I am sent a message, I get it on the BlackBerry, which is great. But if I'm also logged in to my laptop and receive the message on Outlook, I then get another copy on my BlackBerry. If I'm also logged in to my PC, it'll then arrive on Outlook on my PC, and yet again on my BlackBerry. Sometimes more than once... I can end up with 6 or more copies of an individual message sometimes... Each message is independent on the BlackBerry - if I read one, none of the others are marked as read. 

I've read that this can be resolved by switching from IMAP to POP3, but as my exchange server is a "cloud" solution, and I have no control over it, this isn't a viable solution - and nor is any other solution which involves installing, reconfiguring or removing software on the server.

This is driving me to distraction - PLEASE can anyone help provide a solution to this?

Thanks very much

Andrew Richards

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Duplicate emails received - can anyone resolve PLEASE!

This seems to be an issue with messge UID's changing.

-what happens is that everytime a message comes into your mail server a uniquie ID (UID) is assigned to it which should never change and seems like that UID is being changed by the mail server after Oulook makes a connection.

-since BlackBerry Internet Service works by those UID's, if the UID number change it thinks there is a new message and pushs to the BlackBerry.

Check this KB article: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13528   and check cause 8 on this KB. Again this will go back tp your mail service provider.

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewmrichards
My Device: Not Specified

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the article states

"

• Make sure that the message UIDs of email messages on the integrated account messaging server do not change or that email messages are not added back to the inbox of the associated account. Ask your administrator if the message UIDs are changing. In the case of an email message that has a blank UID, have your administrator remove the email message from the email server to prevent it from being delivered repeatedly.
  • Delete email messages from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Mailbox & Handheld setting (email messages will be deleted from the associated email account messaging server and will not be retrieved again by the BlackBerry Internet Service). For instructions, see KB11830.

"

Unfortunately, neither of these options is helpful. Option 1 - "Ask your adminstrator if the message UIDs are changing" is not practical where there's no local administrator, or where the administrator is the ISP. And option 2 doesn't help, when there are sometimes 4 or 5 messages received... I delete ALL off them from Mailbox & Handheld... but that's still 4 or 5 messages to delete.

Do you know of any other way of trying to resolve this?

Andrew

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Mobilicity

Do you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed with Desktop redirector?
Please use plain text.