Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: Email Setup Wizard

One more thing JSanders what would I see in the top right hand corner if I did have the data plan.  EDGE in capitals or something completely different?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 8530 verizon wireless

jasonuzice wrote:

One more thing JSanders what would I see in the top right hand corner if I did have the data plan.  EDGE in capitals or something completely different?

It should have all capitals, and under manage connections, those before mentioned services should be connected. I' with J,  you need to confirm provisioning through your provider

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>~

Hope I was able to help

If you have received information that has helped you out, please give them Kudos.

If your problem has been solved, please click on the post that resolved the issue

Solutions: 6,152
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jasonuzice wrote:

BINGO

Thanks for that.  On a final note.  I'm assuming the BB Data Plan is different to the standard data plan?  What if I had an Iphone for example that is similar to Smartphone technology.  Does that use the standard data plan or once again is there a specific iPhone data plan?

I will confirm with you once I have the matter resolved.

Yep, two different things. That's why I/we keep asking you about THE BlackBerry Data Plan. We haven't asked if you have a generic data plan or an iPhone data plan. :smileywink:

They might be similar, but not the same.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums jason! :smileyhappy:

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101    Tips & Tricks

Let us know how it is going after you talk to your carrier.

Happy to have you here! :smileyvery-happy:

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Telstra

Hello Helpful Friends!!

Well it took the better part of the week before the company who supplied by handset placed the call into Telstra.  As of Thursday at about 11am the data plan was activiated.  I was told it would take a day or so before the data plan would come into effect.  Is this the case?

Having said that it is now 32 hours after the event and I still have the 'edge' top right corner or the screen and although I've removed the battery and powered on again etc there is still no change.

Any more tips? The google mail set up is still not loading, the email set up wizard still only has the option for the Enterprise Server.  ShouldI be doing a hard reset?

Jason

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Orange

Hi all,

I'm kind of new to BB stuff.

I read through the various email setup postings, and they all talk about the dataplan required by the carrier. And I understand this part.

However, as the BB I bought is for my daughter, I want her to use the emails through WIFI, not through 3G.The 3G line would only be used for phone function.

Therefore, I do not think (and want) any dataplan from the carrier, which will cost more on the monthly subscription.

Anyone can help to set up emails on a BB using WIFI only ?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

theswissguy_ch wrote:

Hi all,

I'm kind of new to BB stuff.

I read through the various email setup postings, and they all talk about the dataplan required by the carrier. And I understand this part.

However, as the BB I bought is for my daughter, I want her to use the emails through WIFI, not through 3G.The 3G line would only be used for phone function.

Therefore, I do not think (and want) any dataplan from the carrier, which will cost more on the monthly subscription.

Anyone can help to set up emails on a BB using WIFI only ?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

The way BB's do email is not via a direct on-device SMTP client. Rather, they use an intermediary system called BlackBerry Internet Service, which is hosted by the carriers/RIM. To have access to BIS, one must subscribe to an appropriate data plan. And, regardless of the pathway by which you use BIS (e.g., carrier network or WiFi), you are still using the BIS infrastructure, and therefore the carriers charge for having that access.

I've seen a few discussions here about direct on-device SMTP email clients, but I recall none of those discussions resulting in success. Therefore, the only way I know of to have email on a BB is via BIS...which requires a data plan, even if the access path is WiFi.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Not Specified

Hi there,

I just got the Bold 9650 and I'm having same issues setting up my email. I did the 'Advanced Settings - Register now' bit and always get the confirmation registration message from my service provider 'MTN Nigeria'

Please help me out here. I really need my emails functioning.
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

namanijay wrote:
Hi there,

I just got the Bold 9650 and I'm having same issues setting up my email. I did the 'Advanced Settings - Register now' bit and always get the confirmation registration message from my service provider 'MTN Nigeria'

Please help me out here. I really need my emails functioning.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Please go through this entire thread for solutions. Registering HRT is not part of the email configuration steps (unless there is another problem). Please clarify all things you are trying and exactly what you see.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Bold 9700

Hi

I have the same problem setting up my email address! I cannot fine the solution either!

I originally had 2 options for the set-up of email set-up. Now I only have "use a work email with BlackBerry Enterprise Server"

Does any body know how get the second option back "I want to create or add an email address"

Please help!!

Kind regards Lindsey