Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Visitor
lmtbold
My Device: Not Specified

Email sent from Bold (AT&T) appears in Sent folder of ISP email acct and using up storage

I have used Blackberry with BIS on and off over several years.  I always thought BIS used POP services to access user email accounts but used RIM servers for BB mailbox synchronization and for SMTP of BB composed emails.  I recently got a Bold through AT&T.  Unlike some other providers, there was no browser based BIS interface; all email setup is done through a BB email setup application.  It was so simple I should have been suspicious.  All it did was enter my email account (on my Godaddy hosted web server) and account password and magically my email started flowing.  I thought it was odd that I didn't have to specify a SMTP account; I assumed RIM was handling that.

Imagine my surprise when a  few days ago, after a couple of months of using the Bold, all of my email correspondents starting getting bounced emails from my primary Godaddy email account.  I have my laptop email client configured to delete all downloaded email after 3 days or upon deletion in the client.  I log onto webmail to check the account and there are only three days of messages in the inbox yet the mailbox is full.  Further investigation found that the Trash folder and Sent folder contained hundreds of messages. 

I was stunned.  Analysis showed that all of this email was sent from the BlackberryBold via AT&T.  I did a quick test to confirm and sure enough, upon sending an email to an account not linked to the Bold, this email appeared in the Sent Mail folder of the Godaddy account. The reason it took so long for the Godaddy account to fill up was that the auto-purge feature had been clearing out Sent messages and Trashed message until my email volume email through Bold got so high that my storage limit was exceeded.

How can this be?  I've never seen the use of a SMTP server for relaying email create a message in the Sent Folder.  My former us of BIS for email never exhibited this behavior.  It's bizarre that using the Bold would create any message in the associated account without my explicitly choosing, for instance, to CC messages, and then these would appear in the Inbox, not the Sent folder.

It makes me wonder if AT&T is doing something odd in their implementation of BIS.  At T-mobile the setup of BB email using BIS was very similar to setting up an email client: one needed the email account credentials to gain access to POP and SMTP services, but messages from the BB were handled like it was another email client.  No messages created on the BB appeared on the associated email account.  It almost as though the AT&T BIS is emulating a Godaddy webmail user and processing sent email through the Godaddy client rather than sending email through the SMTP port.

I am away from my laptop so it will be couple of days before I can analyze the headers of the email messages to determine better how these BB sent emails messages are being routed.  In the meantime, does anyone on this forum have a deep understanding of how AT&T has implemented BIS or what other situation could cause all of the email composed and sent from my Bold to appear in the Sent folder of the associated email account?  I am scratching my head over this.

Thank you everyone in advance. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Email sent from Bold (AT&T) appears in Sent folder of ISP email acct and using up storage

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

And thank you for the well thought out and written posting! It really helps us to help you when we have more complete information.

Here is the KB that discusses OTA reconciliation features between BIS and various email providers:

KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

The placing of Sent Items onto the server is a function of some of the services. While GoDaddy is not specifically listed, it must fall into one of the service types for which Sent Items indeed can be replicated back to the server.

When configuring BIS, if you enter a valid email address and password, the wizard will (behind the scenes) attempt to obtain all configuration instrucitons from the server (server names, ports, etc.). For services that it cannot obtain that data, it will take you to the advanced configuration screens into which you must enter all settings (you can force it to take you to these screens by entering the valid email address but invalid password). I recall other posters who have been able to change, inside of GoDaddy, their setup from POP to IMAP as well as the reverse - I don't recall if they were able to do so themselves or if they had to ask GoDaddy to do so. Once changed, they simply deleted and re-created their BIS conduit and it began functioning according to the service type (POP or IMAP) that they had configured at GoDaddy.

Hopefully that helps you a bit! Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.