Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
bboygraphix
My Device: Not Specified

Re: FB App 1.7 - linked contacts bug

[ Edited ]

So, after some educated guessing, it seems that this issue is related to updating the FB app from 1.5 to 1.7 with Content Protection and Compression enabled.  My friends who did not have Content Protection enabled during the FB upgrade did not experience this issue.  It should also be noted that this issue also only affected contacts with email addresses stored in my phone book. 

Note:  I also had the BBM 5.0 leak installed prior to the FB upgrade.  However, I had already updated to the official BBM 5.0 released in App World before upgrading FB to 1.7.  I'm not sure, but it is possible that this was also a contributing factor that caused data corruption during the FB update. 

My fix: 

1. Use Blackberry Desktop Manager to create a backup all of your data in an (.ipd) file. 
  2. Use ABC Amber Blackberry converter (google it) to open the (.ipd) backup file and manually re-enter all contact email addresses that were replaced with "<Content Protection is enabled>".  
  3. Once all affected contacts are fixed in the (.ipd) backup file, re-save it with a different filename (just-in-case!).
  4. Restore data from your "fixed" .ipd file via Blackberry Desktop Manager. 
  5. Once the restore is complete, all contacts should be accessible in the phonebook and contact names will be recognized during phone calls and in SMS, MMS, etc. 

Hope that helps!

Please use plain text.
KP2
KP2

Same issue: can not edit contacts liked to BB accounts and they no longer show up with caller ID, just the number

Device model: Curve 8900

Carrier: T-mobile

Device OS: ?

Content Protection enabled/disabled: ?

Is there an IT Policy: yes

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rcoley
My Device: Bold 9000

This is a problem that has been flagged on numerous forums, the problem as I believe is that facebook doesn't accept properly the content protection of the bb. I have been told by jsanders that they are collating information to sort out a solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Konda

Device model: Bold 9000

Carrier: Smart, Philippines

Device OS: 4.6.0.266

Content Protection enabled/disabled: enabled (include contacts:disabled) (see remarks below)

Is there an IT Policy:  no

I used to have all content protection enabeled, including contacts, but a few days before I upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7 I disabled the option to include contacts. Maybe this has somehting to do with it? Maybe the 1.6 Facebook app stored some information on the device about the contacts and their protection, which messes up in the 1.7 version.

What I did was back up all contacts to my Outlook, deleted all contacts from the phone, and re-added them with a 1-way sync from Outlook to the Blackberry. After that I still had some messed up contacts (somehow it stored most PIN numbers from the FB-linked contacts to random other contacts), but at least I could open everything agian.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
rsimms9

I had the same problem, I unstalled FB1.7 restored my contacts OTA via the BES and reinstalled FB via the App store and it install version 0.0 (weird but it works) and resolved the issue.  This morning I got a notification to upgrade to version 1.17.0.18, but have not done so because I don't want a repeat of the "content protection" issue.

Device model: Bold 9000

Carrier:AT&T

Device OS:4.6.0.297

Content Protection enabled/disabled:Content Protection Enabled/Stronger/Include Contacts:NO

Is there an IT Policy:Exchange AES/peer bbm_p2p 3des/secure gc enabled

hope this info helps

Please use plain text.
banivdm

Device model: curve 8310

Carrier: Vodacom South Africa

Device OS: platform 2.7.0.68, App version 4.5.0.55

Content Protection enabled/disabled: protection enabled, but not for addresses

Is there an IT Policy: no

I recently upgraded from whatever version I used to have to facebook app 1.7.0.18. Now I cant open or edit any of the addresses linked to FB. I can however dial them and the numbers do show in the dialling screen, and voice dialling works. I cannot email those contacts or edit them at all.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bmoman

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Exact same issue as above.  When I uninstall FB 1.7, I am able to view/edit contacts just fine.  When it's installed, I cannot view/edit them

Device model: Curve 8330

Carrier: Verizon

Device OS: 4.5.0.77

Content Protection enabled/disabled: enabled 

Is there an IT Policy: No

Please use plain text.