Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

cthaley2000
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

Fatal error message while updating to os 6

I have a bold 9700 and am try to update my current 5.1 (?) software to 6.0 and receive a fatal error message while updating. Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Fatal error message while updating to os 6

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Please provide us the exact steps you are following and exactly where in those steps that this message presents...along with the precise syntax of the message. For example, are you doing an on-device update? Are you using a MAC and the MAC desktop software? Are you using a PC and the PC Desktop Software? Are you using LOADER.EXE? BBSAK? The update website? You see...there are multiple methods, so help us to help you by telling us the exact method and steps you are following.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
jay299uk
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi,  I had exactly the same error trying to update my 9700 to 6.0.  This was using the Desktop Manager.

I then used the on-line link below to update using the updater and specific instructions for my carrier - it then worked OK.  (In fact I mistakenly used O2 rather than Vodafone UK, but it worked fine).

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sueklinger
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: ATT

I am having the exact same problem.  I can't figure out why.  from other posts it looks like 6.0 is an issue on Bolds.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sueklinger

Can you tell me more specifically how to do the download and upload to the Blackberry. Do I do down load to the computer and then upload to the Blackberry ignoring the Desktop manager. There seems to be too many opportunities for things to go wrong. I am in the US on ATT.
Please use plain text.
jay299uk

Hi, download to the computer ignoring the Desktop manager. Connect the Blackberry to your computer and run the application you just downloaded. It worked for me - good luck.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sueklinger

Thank you. with much trepidation I downloaded the software.   I wound up having to update the Desk top manager and then the OS update.  And now I have to get used to all the new stuff on it and the Blackberry.  I wouldn't say I was the most knowledgable of users so this was a great leap for me.

Please use plain text.
jay299uk

Well done, I'm glad it worked for you. The new OS seems a great improvement - enjoy.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ItsAditya
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Grameen Phone

This was much helpful.. Tnx..
Please use plain text.